Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell sucks!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Dell sucks!!!

I had heard horror stories of Dell even before coming to the US. But, still, preferred Dell, coz 'everyone had dell' and other laptops were quite costly for the same config, except HP, which people said were of low standards.

After a loooong wait , one day I got my Dell laptop. I was excited like hell, but all that vanished when I looked at that awful looking grainy screen. Then, the quality of the plastic... More use, and I hear weird noises from the HDD. Bluetooth fails .. and then reappears after a few days..

That grainy LCD makes me send the laptop back to dell. When I get it back, I get a still grainer screen. 2GB Ram becomes 1.5GB , and Vista no longer loads. Thanks to ubuntu, it still loaded.

When I did call them up, they were completely non-chalant about the entire thing, and asked me if I wanted an all new laptop with the same configuration. I would never want another Dell product in my house. I should have actually sued them I guess. Don't know if I can. But, I chose to get my money back, and I ordered a new Lenovo for 200$ bucks..

Most of these laptops are made in china or malaysia or singapore.. What kind of crappy quality is this. Is this what has become of US?
    India is a pluralist society that creates magic with democracy, rule of law and individual freedom, community relations and diversity. I wouldn't mind being born ten times to rediscover India. - Robert Blackwill, U.S Ambassador until 2003.

Beans

Re: Dell sucks!!!

If everyone thought like you, Dell wouldn't have been able to bank over $3.5 billion net income last year!
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My Inspiron is the most reliable computer I've ever owned. I don't recall ever having a problem with the hardware and Ubuntu runs great on it out of the box. Perhaps you just got a dud... or, did you drop it?

Beans
    Distro

These are the new Inspirons that have been in the news for all the wrong reasons... Mainly their LCD Screens!!
    India is a pluralist society that creates magic with democracy, rule of law and individual freedom, community relations and diversity. I wouldn't mind being born ten times to rediscover India. - Robert Blackwill, U.S Ambassador until 2003.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well, it's Dell. Not exactly the highest quality brand IMO, they buy and sell bulk and have a lenient return policy. If you want a top notch laptop most people I know say Lenovo. If your aiming for desktop, build.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Dell is ok. I tend to favor building my own Desktops though - always have.

I built this current system a couple of few ago (3.2 gig PV IV, 1 gig of RAM, 256 meg ATI card... yatta yatta) and it's pretty out-of-date now. Beautiful thing is Ubuntu installed on it without ANY problems.

Now the Dell laptop I have.... that's another story. Ubuntu absolutely will not go on without a fight. Text mode or not. Debian? No problems. Gentoo? No problems. Slackware? No problems. Ubuntu - no go.

I'm not a big fan of factory built systems - too proprietary for my taste - and the fact you end up with a bunch generic components (well that's the way it used to be).

Anyway - Dell isn't too bad... I'd say they're probably the best out of the factory built systems.
    "Only because the richest software company on the planet is utterly incompetent, and incapable of building a secure operating system. -- Carla Schroder

Beans

Red face Re: Dell sucks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by starcraft.man View Post
    Well, it's Dell. Not exactly the highest quality brand IMO, they buy and sell bulk and have a lenient return policy. If you want a top notch laptop most people I know say Lenovo. If your aiming for desktop, build.
    I agree that Dell is a bottom feeder.

I only buy Fujitsu Computers, if I buy new. Fujitsu's are actually made in Japan and are of much higher quality then the junk coming out of China and elsewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

With the massive number of computers they sell, and the fact that not every piece of hardware is 100% reliable, they're going to have problems. I don't think you can judge the entire corporation based on your experience, I'm sorry it was bad, but one bad experience isn't enough to trash the company's name.

As far as laptops go, switching to Lenovo was a good idea. They're my preferred choice for laptops and with good reason.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rupertronco View Post
    As far as laptops go, switching to Lenovo was a good idea. They're my preferred choice for laptops and with good reason.
    .. Thanks.. Hope this one works well.. I've had enough tension with Dell already.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
    These are the new Inspirons that have been in the news for all the wrong reasons... Mainly their LCD Screens!!
    I just got my Dell Inspiron 1501 and have no problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast