Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install Vuze on Ubuntu & Debian

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile How to install Vuze on Ubuntu & Debian

This howto is based on a howto by Artificial Intelligence. That old howto is no longer updated or maintained and is long out of date for Vuze. That said it was very helpful back in the day and this howto could not exist with out it. The improvements I have made are for the name change and better security.

The original howto is Here. And Artificial Intelligence user profile is Here.

You need Java installed. Any of the Java flavors will work. I myself use Sun-Java6.
    Tested on Ubuntu 8.10 and Debian Lenny.
    Ready!

Step 1
    Create a dedicated user account for Vuze. The reason is that Vuze is for all intents and purposes a server. This is even more true in the case of users who activate the built in tracker and web server.
    Code:
    sudo adduser --home /opt/vuze --shell /bin/false --no-create-home --disabled-login vuze
    At this point adduser will ask you for some info BUT and a big BUT simply hit the enter button without filling in any data! I should mention that this simply puts the files and folders under a non-root account. The Vuze process however will still run as the user who called Vuze. I have not found a good method yet for running the Vuze process as the Vuze user. The annoying but simple method is to create the Vuze user with "--home /home/vuze". Then you would enter a password and use the user switching applet to switch to the Vuze user.

Step 2
    Download Vuze from Here. You can select 32bit or 64bit. The tutorial is the same for both.

Step 3
    Open up a terminal and cd to where you downloaded Vuze.
    Code:
    cd Location_of_your_file
    Example would be "$cd /Desktop" or "$cd /Downloads" or "$/home/steve/Downloads"

Code:
    sudo tar jxvf REPLACE_WITH_THE_NAME_OF_THE_FILE.tar.bz2 -C /opt/
    The -C is an upper case letter by the way

Step 4
    Change permissions temporarily.
    Code:
    sudo chown -R YOUR_USERNAME_GOES_HERE:YOUR_USERNAME_GOES_HERE /opt/vuze/
    Example would be "$sudo chown -R steve:steve /opt/vuze"

Step 5
    To get Vuze into your Applications Menu.
    Code:
    sudo nano /usr/share/applications/Vuze.desktop
    add or copy and paste this into the nano text editor.
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Vuze
    Comment=P2P Client
    Exec=/opt/vuze/vuze
    Icon=/opt/vuze/vuze.png
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Application;Network;
    To exit press Ctrl x and hit y for yes.

Step 6
    It's a good idea to be able to launch Vuze from a terminal and in order to do that...
    Code:
    sudo nano /usr/bin/vuze
    add or copy and paste this into the nano text editor.
    #!/bin/sh

/opt/vuze/vuze "$*"
    To exit press Ctrl x and hit y for yes.

Step 7
    Make the /usr/bin/vuze executable.
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/vuze

Step 8
    Open Vuze up and get any updates that are available. Do not install plugins at this time. Then restart Vuze and check for updates again as some updates won't appear until other updates are installed. If updates showed a second time then restart Vuze a third time and check for updates. Repeat until there are no updates. Do not install plugins at this time! Exit completely at this point by selecting "File/Exit".

Step 9
    Change permissions to the user and group "vuze" that we created in step 1.
    Code:
    sudo chown -R vuze:vuze /opt/vuze
    This takes care of the directory where we installed Vuze. It also secures all files and sub directories contained within "/opt/vuze"

Step 10
    Change the permissions on the "/usr/bin/vuze" file we created earlier.
    Code:
    sudo chown vuze:vuze /usr/bin/vuze

Step 11
    Now start up Vuze and install any plugins you desire. The plugins will now install to your user directory at ".azureus". This way you can install and remove and update without having to change permissions.

Step 12
    To update Vuze itself, we need to change permissions.
    Code:
    sudo chown -R YOUR_USERNAME_GOES_HERE:YOUR_USERNAME_GOES_HERE /opt/vuze/
    Now start up Vuze and update. Repeat until there are no updates any longer.
    When there are no more updates you need to change the permissions back to a secure setting. To do this...
    Code:
    sudo chown -R vuze:vuze /opt/vuze

Many thanks go to Artificial Intelligence
    Last edited by VuzeLover; December 3rd, 2008 at 08:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How to install Vuze on Ubuntu & Debian

Hey,

Y do I need to do all this? Can't I simply install from Synaptic/Aptitude? I can see it there.

Regards
    Muks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Excellent howto, it works like a charm here

Beans

My NAT will not go "green" it keeps saying firewalled!! even though I openened the ports on Iptables, forwarded the ports on router and my firewallbox.
    It works on my XP machine (different ip, same rules) what could possible be the problem.

edit: Aaaaaaaah.... made a typo in the portforwarding rules. I can't believe it. took me 2 days to find!!!! stupid n00b move.
    Last edited by rvgeelen; February 18th, 2009 at 05:37 AM. Reason: solved

Beans

Talking A simpler method...

Hmmm... this tutorial is less messy and works perfectly for me:

http://forlong.blogage.de/en/entries...us-4-on-Ubuntu

Note that the Vuze download page at http://www.vuze.com/Download.html will only give you the 32-bit package, if you need the 64-bit package, get it here:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php

Beans

you can also add the getdeb repository to your source list and follow this steps.

echo "deb http://getdeb.masio.com.mx/ jaunty/" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/getdeb.list && sudo apt-get update

now if that gives an gpg error like this:

W: GPG error: http://getdeb.masio.com.mx/ jaunty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B152F042D246C25D

you must use the following command in the terminal:

gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys "XXXXXXXXXX"
    sudo gpg --export --armor "XXXXXXXXXX" | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update

replacing the "XXXXXXXXXX" whit the number that appears in the message ex: B152F042D246C25D

$sudo apt-get update

just to check about the gpg error (it shouldnt appear anymore)

$sudo apt-get install vuze

this will install the version of vuze that is on getdeb (4.2.0.2) whit all dependencies, or you can install it using synaptics.

$sudo chmod -R 777 /usr/share/vuze

this will let vuze to do any upgrade

Beans

great tutorial...thnx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Re: How to install Vuze on Ubuntu & Debian

I've been trying for two days to get this to work! I'm a noobie and am a little unfamiliar with the command line, although I don't mind working with it.
    Some how, I'm not getting nano to work right for when I try to edit. Another thing is the changing of ownerships. It is very confusing to me what is needed at a couple of the spots when "I'm" asked to "chown" from one (vuze:vuze) to my username and then back. I'm missing something in the installation because when I start Vuze, it seems to run good one time and then it freezes on the next startup.
    As a note: on the last edit for "#!/bash/sh" etc., I used gedit instead of nano. Will that make any difference in how the file is read?
    Any help will be appreciated as I have been trying to learn a little bit about using torrents and haven't as yet gotten one to work for very long!
    gottatrieit

Beans

great tutorial man, thank you!

Beans

Smile Re: How to install Vuze on Ubuntu & Debian

Thanks. Nice post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast