Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: [Howto] Successfully install the svn MPlayer under Hardy Heron

Beans

Re: [Howto] Successfully install the svn mplayer + gmplayer + all the codecs.

Hello all! I am having some serious problems with mPlayer and streaming all internet radio stations!!! First and foremost I am running Gutsy. I followed the installation instructions to the 'T" on the first page of this post and my first wall that I hit is when I do ./configure I receive the following

./configure
    Detected operating system: Linux
    Detected host architecture: i386
    Checking for cc version ... 4.1.3, ok
    Checking for host cc ... cc
    Checking for cross compilation ... yes
    Checking for CPU vendor ... AuthenticAMD (15:72:2)
    Checking for CPU type ... AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50
    Checking for kernel support of mmx ... failed
    It seems that your kernel does not correctly support mmx.
    To use mmx extensions in MPlayer, you have to upgrade/recompile your kernel!
    Checking for kernel support of mmxext ... failed
    It seems that your kernel does not correctly support mmxext.
    To use mmxext extensions in MPlayer, you have to upgrade/recompile your kernel!
    Checking for kernel support of 3dnow ... failed
    It seems that your kernel does not correctly support 3dnow.
    To use 3dnow extensions in MPlayer, you have to upgrade/recompile your kernel!
    Checking for kernel support of 3dnowext ... failed
    It seems that your kernel does not correctly support 3dnowext.
    To use 3dnowext extensions in MPlayer, you have to upgrade/recompile your kernel!
    Checking for kernel support of sse ... failed
    It seems that your kernel does not correctly support sse.
    To use sse extensions in MPlayer, you have to upgrade/recompile your kernel!
    Checking for kernel support of sse2 ... failed
    It seems that your kernel does not correctly support sse2.
    To use sse2 extensions in MPlayer, you have to upgrade/recompile your kernel!
    Checking for kernel support of cmov ... failed
    It seems that your kernel does not correctly support cmov.
    To use cmov extensions in MPlayer, you have to upgrade/recompile your kernel!
    Checking for mtrr support ... yes
    Checking for GCC & CPU optimization abilities ... CPU optimization disabled. CPU not recognized or your compiler is too old.
    error
    Checking for assembler support of -pipe option ... no
    Checking for compiler support of named assembler arguments ... yes
    Checking for assembler (as ) ... ok
    Checking for .align is a power of two ... no
    Checking for Linux kernel version ... 2.6.22-14-generic, ok
    Checking for -lposix ... no
    Checking for -lm ... no
    Checking for langinfo ... no
    Checking for language ... using en (man pages: en )
    Checking for enable sighandler ... yes
    Checking for runtime cpudetection ... no
    Checking for restrict keyword ... none
    Checking for __builtin_expect ... no
    Checking for kstat ... no
    Checking for posix4 ... no
    Checking for lrintf ... no
    Checking for mkstemp ... no
    Checking for nanosleep ... no
    Checking for socklib ... no
    Checking for inet_pton() ... no (trying inet_aton next)
    Checking for inet_aton() ... no (network support disabled)
    Checking for network ... no
    Checking for inttypes.h (required) ... no
    Checking for bitypes.h (inttypes.h predecessor) ...
    Error: Cannot find header either inttypes.h or bitypes.h. There is no chance for compilation to succeed.

Check "configure.log" if you do not understand why it failed.

I checked the configure.log and I am not familiar enough with the Linux language yet to fully understand what the issue is. So what I did (out of frustration) I ignored the error message above and continued on with the installation. I can get MPlayer to open both from Applications and from Terminal, the skin works and all. Now I have the MediaConnectivity plug-in installed for Firefox and it is setup to have gmplayer be the player for all file types. When I click what should be an internet radio station, lets take NPR for example I receive the following error:

Failed to open icy-url:http://www.shoutcast.com. When trying to open a sirius channel, MPlayer opens and I receive a similar error. I installed all of the codecs per the instructions on page 1.

Prior to this installation attempt I installed MPLayer from Synaptic and I was still unable to play any internet radio streams, all other forms of sound work, videos, CD's systems sounds, etc. Except for streaming video and radio. I am wondering if the issue I am having getting streaming media to work is related to the same issue I am having with Sipie. If anyone isnt familiar with Sipie (ignore the last sentence) Sipie works perfectly except for sound!! This all is very frustrating!! To the point that I am considering re-imaging my laptop and I really don't want to!! Anyone that could possibly help it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank You,

Paul

EDIT
    I ran mplayer from terminal using the command mplayer (stream location) and this worked. When I ran the command gmplayer (stream location) I still receive the errors stated above. So I guess this can be a temporary stopgap but any insight would be appreciated on the issues I am having.
    Last edited by thepaulmorris; November 4th, 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Beans

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear you are having such trouble:

Quote Originally Posted by thepaulmorris View Post
    Hello all! I am having some serious problems with mPlayer and streaming all internet radio stations!!! First and foremost I am running Gutsy. I followed the installation instructions to the 'T" on the first page of this post and my first wall that I hit is when I do ./configure I receive the following [....]
    You might be best to uninstall mplayer by changing to the source directory and issuing this command:

Code:
    $ sudo make uninstall
    $ make clean
    My only thought is that perhaps there is an AMD 64 problem. The faqs speak of this:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/faq.html#id2552970

But I am afraid that my experience with the AMD 64 chip and compiling mplayer is zero You could try the directions on the faqs but I am not in a position to test them myself to guarantee their effectiveness or suitability for your particular AMD chip.

An alternative is to post on the Mplayer Users list:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/mailman/li.../mplayer-users

Be aware some of the users can be a little terse but the information gained there is almost always worthwhile.

Sorry I cannot be much more help than this!

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Everything works fine but this. It does not seem to install a plugin that firefox sees at all. Can you advise?

Quote Originally Posted by shirilover View Post
    You can also build mplayerplug-in as well.
    The latest version 3.4.5 works well for me.

I'm going to assume you have already successfully built mplayer.
    First, we need to grab the source.
    Code:
    wget http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mplayerplug-in/mplayerplug-in-3.45.tar.gz
    tar -xzvf mplayerplug-in-3.45.tar.gz
    cd mplayerplug-in
    Also, we need the firefox development files
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-dev libnss-dev libnspr-dev
    Now, we can build the plugin.
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    make install will install the plugin to your firefox profile directory, usually ~/.mozilla/plugins. If you wish to make them globally available, use sudo make install instead.

Beans

Hi,

Glad that you have successfully installed the svn mplayer:

Quote Originally Posted by episodic View Post
    Everything works fine but this. It does not seem to install a plugin that firefox sees at all. Can you advise?
    but unfortunately I have no experience with this plugin and in fact I have never installed it. Your quote is from someone else I suspect who has volunteered this information?

Andrew

Beans

Hey,
    i'm getting this error a few seconds after "make";

Code:
    command.c:1001: warning: passing argument 2 of 'set_video_colors' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    command.c:1008: warning: passing argument 2 of 'get_video_colors' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    command.c:1017: warning: passing argument 2 of 'set_video_colors' discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    command.c: In function 'mp_property_sub_source':
    command.c:1393: error: 'MSGTR_SubSourceFile' undeclared (first use in this function)
    command.c:1393: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    command.c:1393: error: for each function it appears in.)
    command.c:1396: error: 'MSGTR_SubSourceVobsub' undeclared (first use in this function)
    command.c:1399: error: 'MSGTR_SubSourceDemux' undeclared (first use in this function)
    command.c: At top level:
    command.c:2015: error: 'MSGTR_SubSourceStatus' undeclared here (not in a function)
    make: *** [command.o] Erreur 1
    Should i just wait for some mplayer svn updates?

Beans

Hi,
    I get the same error

Edit:

It works now I guess the mplayer-guys fixed the bug.
    Update your source folder and make again.
    Code:
    cd mplayer
    svn update
    make
    sudo make install
    Or use sudo checkinstall to build a .deb package. Go to synaptic and lock the version, and then you can install the mozilla plugin from the repos.
    Last edited by ildfroe; November 25th, 2007 at 07:09 PM.

Beans

Hi,

Wooo hooo!!! Almost 10,000 views of this walkthrough!! I am hoping for an Ubuntu T-shirt or a coffee mug when it hits the big 10,000

Hopefully a lot of people have just sailed through it with great success, I know there have been some with problems; it is a difficult bit of software to compile from source.

Andrew

Beans

Hi,

Glad it sorted itself out:

Quote Originally Posted by ildfroe View Post
    It works now I guess the mplayer-guys fixed the bug.
    [...] use sudo checkinstall to build a .deb package. Go to synaptic and lock the version, and then you can install the mozilla plugin from the repos.
    I thought for some time about using checkinstall in this walkthrough, particularly when I saw that the mozilla plugin wanted to drag in the repository mplayer with it.

But checkinstall introduced a few potential problems with it that I was not keen to troubleshoot. I reasoned eventually that anybody cluey enough to run through a walkthrough that involved svn and compiling from source could make their own way with checkinstall

But perhaps if anyone writes a similar guide for Hardy Heron checkinstall might feature as it ties mplayer back into the Ubuntu package management system.

Andrew

Beans

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!!!!!!

Beans

Hi:

Quote Originally Posted by tachibana View Post
    Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!!!!!!
    And thank you for your message

Andrew

Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast