Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Install gaim(NOT pidgin) in Gutsy

Beans

HowTo: Install gaim(NOT pidgin) in Gutsy

For anyone that is like me and dislikes the new Pidgin Philosohpy of "While Pidgin is a multiprotocol IM client, the goal is to hide protocols from the user as much as possible.", this guide is for you. When I found out they removed the independent protocols from the buddy list, I thought it was a mistake. Unfortunately, it is not. And until they come up with a way to bring that back (which they refuse to do), I will be sticking with gaim.

Here is how to install gaim 2.00 beta 6 from the gaim source files in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy gibbon as of Dec 07 2007.

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove pidgin
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libxml2-dev libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev
    Download the source files here

Code:
    tar -jxvf gaim-2.0.0beta6.tar.bz2
    Code:
    cd gaim-2.0.0beta6
    Code:
    ./configure
    Code:
    make
    Code:
    sudo make install
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libgaim.so.0 /usr/lib/
    Now you should have "Gaim Instant Messenger" under Applications -> Internet
    Last edited by leftyfb; December 7th, 2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: forgot the step to remove pidgin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HowTo: Install gaim(NOT pidgin) in Gutsy

FYI, in pidgin 2.2.0 the protocol icons are back, and the information of which protocol is used is very nicely and unobtrusively displayed, in both the buddy list window and the chat window.

The feature can be enabled through Buddies -> Show -> Protocol Icons.

The .deb for pidgin 2.2.0 from getdeb.net worked perfectly for me.

HTH.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avel View Post
    FYI, in pidgin 2.2.0 the protocol icons are back, and the information of which protocol is used is very nicely and unobtrusively displayed, in both the buddy list window and the chat window.

The feature can be enabled through Buddies -> Show -> Protocol Icons.

The .deb for pidgin 2.2.0 from getdeb.net worked perfectly for me.

HTH.
    I did not know this. However, this is a half-assed compromise. Instead of replacing the pointless and unsightly green orbs on every buddy with the protocol icons like it used to be, they went ahead and kept the useless orbs and wasted most space and introduced more clutter by adding the protocol icons to the right. These icons are only labels for the protocols and do not show the buddy status like the orbs do in their place.

I'll stick with gaim until they start listening to their users a bit more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by leftyfb View Post
    Instead of replacing the pointless and unsightly green orbs on every buddy with the protocol icons like it used to be, they went ahead and kept the useless orbs and wasted most space and introduced more clutter by adding the protocol icons to the right. These icons are only labels for the protocols and do not show the buddy status like the orbs do in their place.
    Well, of course you are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to disagree.

IMHO the unified status icons are much better. I do not need to distinguish between the MSN occupied status and the Jabber busy status; they should look the same. The status icon is very user-friendly and informative.

But again, this is very much a personal preference. I have a colleague here who agrees with you and still does not like the way 2.2.0 displays it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I have to say that the large section of the conversation window devoted to the User Info and Display Picture is a ridiculous amount of wasted space- what on Earth was wrong with the old system of having the display picture next to the message entry box?

Heck- is there any point whatsoever in devoting a hundred pixels of screen space to duplicating something written in the chat window's title full stop?

Thanks for the tutorial- that's much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Finally! Someone with some sense!

I'm favorite-ing this tutorial for when I need it in the future.

Beans

i wish you could use adium. but i actually like the new pidgin. but yes this is personal preference. good tutorial nonetheless. could be useful later on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just upgraded to Gutsy for two reasons: first, to get Pidgin instead of just outdated gaim and second, to get Thunderbird 2.0 instead of outdated Thunderbird 1.5.

I guess I am sticking to pidgin, even though I hate its avian purple head.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Izkata View Post
    Finally! Someone with some sense!

I'm favorite-ing this tutorial for when I need it in the future.
    While I consider this thread pointless pedantry, the 'tutorial' itself is just the normal procedure for installing via make.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AirRaven View Post
    I have to say that the large section of the conversation window devoted to the User Info and Display Picture is a ridiculous amount of wasted space- what on Earth was wrong with the old system of having the display picture next to the message entry box?

Heck- is there any point whatsoever in devoting a hundred pixels of screen space to duplicating something written in the chat window's title full stop?
    Thank you!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast