Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install Opensuse Without A Cd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Howto: Install Opensuse Without A Cd

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Only problem with that is that you need a Linux install already before you can install Linux, as most Windows users have only 1 partition so they wouldn't be able to do the resizing bit if they have the iso on the desktop already.
    You can use a windows partition tool, drop the iso there, and use a Windows like GRUB tool, however, you're right, is quite more difficult if you didn't have Linux previously.
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've uploaded some 64-bit openSUSE UNetbootin builds. Check the download page... Since the packages are all marked as "noarch/all", you don't need to necessarily install 32-bit from a 32-bit OS, or 64-bit from a 64-bit OS; you can install 64-bit if your processor is capable of it (amd64 or intel core2 and above), even if you're running a 32-bit Windows or Linux install.

Beans

I just tried to use unetbootin to install opensuse 10.3. I have the iso downloaded already and opted to install from hard disk but when i told it which directory the iso was in it just said "no repositories found", when i know its in there.

I've already used unetbootin to install mandriva 2008 and it worked great, the 10.3 opensuse version doesnt seem to work or look as good.

Any help?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tommytabib View Post
    I just tried to use unetbootin to install opensuse 10.3. I have the iso downloaded already and opted to install from hard disk but when i told it which directory the iso was in it just said "no repositories found", when i know its in there.

I've already used unetbootin to install mandriva 2008 and it worked great, the 10.3 opensuse version doesnt seem to work or look as good.

Any help?
    Perhaps try extracting the contents of the iso first?

Beans

I wanna install opensuse 10.3 KDE version. So what´s the deal? will i l have the chance to choose what DE i want to be installed? Or is this just for the Gnome flavour?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ferpadro View Post
    I wanna install opensuse 10.3 KDE version. So what´s the deal? will i l have the chance to choose what DE i want to be installed? Or is this just for the Gnome flavour?
    Yes, you'll get to choose your DE.

I just tried to use unetbootin to install opensuse 10.3. I have the iso downloaded already
    Is the iso the install or live iso? Only the install DVD iso will work (though I've only tried net-install, so I don't know the precise procedure)

Beans
    Distro

I tried your tool 2 days ago to install Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, and, I don't know why it took more than 10 hours just to complete 18%, of course, I cancelled it. I'm aware that it was downloading every package, but my internet connection is not that slow, 10 hours are almost 2 GB with it, Ubuntu installed just take 2.5 GB, that means that .deb download packages are sensible less heavy.
    Last edited by LuisAugusto; October 25th, 2007 at 07:35 PM.

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LuisAugusto View Post
    I tried your tool 2 days ago to install Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10, and, I don't know why it took more than 10 hours just to complete 18%, of course, I cancelled it. I'm aware that it was downloading every package, but my internet connection is not that slow, 10 hours are almost 2 GB with it, Ubuntu installed just take 2.5 GB, that means that .deb download packages are sensible less heavy.
    Well, Ubuntu 7.10 was only recently released, so perhaps your local mirrors were overburdened. Also note that most of the downloading will occur at the 6% stage, so perhaps it was much closer to being finished at "13%" than the progressbar indicated. But yes, certainly, 10 hours to download Ubuntu 7.10 (roughly 700 MB) is quite a while.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly View Post
    Well, Ubuntu 7.10 was only recently released, so perhaps your local mirrors were overburdened. Also note that most of the downloading will occur at the 6% stage, so perhaps it was much closer to being finished at "13%" than the progressbar indicated. But yes, certainly, 10 hours to download Ubuntu 7.10 (roughly 700 MB) is quite a while.
    Ok, thanks for th anwser

Beans
    Distro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast