Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elbuntu - The Next Stage?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thumbs down Elbuntu - The Next Stage?

Hi all

Just wondering what you all thought of this project: Elbuntu

I myself would be very interested. Just thought I'd ask the boards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Elbuntu - The Next Stage?

It's another branch, using the "enlightenment" DE instead of gnome or KDE, etc.

I think it may become "popular", but it probably won't become a norm anytime soon, and even when it reaches it's peak, i think there will till be more KDE users than E17
    (not to put it down, I just can't see it taking off... perhaps it will inspire something better though...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i agree

e17 sounds and looks good (on a desktop mind, my experience with it on a laptop is shoddy at best) but since it seems to be in a perpetual beta phase it's difficult to see it in a mainstream distro anytime soon.

I just saw the OzOS variant too which looks interesting. Another branch of e17 distro but it looks a slight bit cleaner than Elbuntu.

e17 sparks my curiousity because I am one of these people that detests "taskbars " or "docks" on my desktop. I like the idea that e17 can just be a clean empty desktop until you click on it. I also like it because it tends to infuriate any windows only snoopers who just see an "empty" desktop.

any other WM's anyone can recommend? I've used KDE, GNOME, XFCE, and e17. Running vanilla Gutsy Gibbon at the moment with GNOME but like I said, the reliance on taskbars annoys me. I want to break free from this "windows" (i say this because it's mostly associated with windows even though I think MS did copy it from X).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've been using E17 cvs for years. Don't be fooled by the 'beta' thing: E17 is perfectly suitable for every day use... as long as you stick with cvs.

Try easy_E17.sh or - if you can read french - check out my method:
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pinguSOD...ation_E17.html

French forum thread:
    http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=182391

My favorite 'enlightened' desktop *hands down* is Ubuntu Studio + E17... Give it a spin !
    Last edited by worldwithoutgurus; February 3rd, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
    GNU/Linux user #400414

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i'm not really a fan of cvs...my experiences with it have been rather shaky for the most part. and i tend to like stability over bleeding edge. i will keep it in mind though, thanks

however, i have been looking for some ISO's of Ubuntu Studio for someone to mail me. I'm into media creation and editing a lot and I like the idea of a dedicated Ubuntu distro for that purpose. Any help on that front?

Unfortunately my french is...well lets just say "oui" is about the best I can do, and I even mess that up 9 times out of 10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I've also had problems with cvs e17. Installed it and it caused all sorts of problems, resulting in a complete re-install which, as it happens, turned out to be a good thing anyway.

But now i'm more than wary! e17 does look good though, and i'm currently installing OzOs, which uses e17, and looks rather good.
    Registered Linux user: #413753 | Ubuntu user: #7595
    | Tiny Me | antiX | Zenwalk |

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mochabuntu View Post
    i'm not really a fan of cvs...my experiences with it have been rather shaky for the most part. and i tend to like stability over bleeding edge. i will keep it in mind though, thanks

however, i have been looking for some ISO's of Ubuntu Studio for someone to mail me. I'm into media creation and editing a lot and I like the idea of a dedicated Ubuntu distro for that purpose. Any help on that front?

Unfortunately my french is...well lets just say "oui" is about the best I can do, and I even mess that up 9 times out of 10
    Well compiling from cvs can be as easy as simple apt-get

Just check my how-to on my signature:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546746

You just add a repo to your sources and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install e17-cvs
    wait till finish and login to your new e!7

My package install all need for cvs compilation, downloads code, compile install and configure all for you.

You can do it in any Debian based distro (Ubuntu studio included) it's very well tested (it's the core of OzOS in fact).

Or you can try OzOS and just install tools need for media creation since OzOS uses Ubuntu reportories.
    Manual install:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3&goto=newpost
    Iso:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=677962

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I added E17 using the script it worked wonderful.
    Thanks !

Once you're over the hill
    you're gonna pick up speed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by worldwithoutgurus View Post
    My favorite 'enlightened' desktop *hands down* is Ubuntu Studio + E17... Give it a spin !
    My favorite "enlightened" desktop is Mac OS X
    Remember that old slogan they had for Tiger; "What do you do when you reach enlightenment? You keep going"... or something like that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

unfortunately i am not fashionable enough to own a Mac (wish I was, because the idea of a unix based system that can game is very tempting...plus I'm one of the "poor" )

i was just looking at the easy_e17.sh script and am thinking of running it via Rui's apt-get. But I'm running a bare bones system at the moment (read, no updates clean install) so will I have any issues?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast