Thread: sabayon: updating & 64bit question

Beans

sabayon: updating & 64bit question

Hey, i installed sabayon 64 bit 3.4e and loved it from the get go.

but it runs A LOT hotter than my other distros and uses an extreme ammount of ram (600+ on a 1 gb sys on a cold boot)

also it uses 160+ processes.

so my question is if i switch from 64bit to 32bit if less ram would be used, and maybe it would run cooler? i mean it is ridiculous when i boot into sabayon, my fan runs full throttle non-stop, non of my other distros ever did this (even with compiz and stuff)

also, how do you fricken update the damn thing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: sabayon: updating & 64bit question

To update:

emerge --sync

then

emerge -uDNav world

(these are gentoo methods, but I assume they are the same)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
    To update:

emerge --sync

then

emerge -uDNav world

(these are gentoo methods, but I assume they are the same)
    no, i get a crap load of errors, and it asks me to remove tons of packages that way.

Beans

emerge -uDNav world
    I don't think that is recommended for Sabayon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Yeah, sorry about that. I just noticed it on the Sabayon wiki. There is a guide to updating on Sabayon. Perhaps you should try looking at the docs once in a while

Beans

Yeah, sorry about that. I just noticed it on the Sabayon wiki. There is a guide to updating on Sabayon. Perhaps you should try looking at the docs once in a while
    actually i saw that, and was hoping that there would be an easier way other than spending like 2 hours coniguring the damn thing. i just installed ubuntu. sabayon needs a better package manager. i wish there was a sabayon like thing for ubuntu,

like all the latest packages on a ubuntu base.

Beans
    Hidden!

Actually portage is a great package manager as long as you don't mind breakage amoung uninstalling (no dependency checking), long waits, and alot of HD space being used.

Benefit, a fraction better speed.

Me, I use Fink on OS X, which is a port of Ports. Portage is also a port of Ports. Closest thing I have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1) regarding Sabayon:
    - I just tested 4.0 R1 for a while and just gave up. While consuming hell of a disk space, I didn't see any improvement, well maybe a better memory management, but I bet this can be achieved in Ubuntu as well by stopping unused services and maybe a little tweaking of Gnome, Firefox etc.
    - while Ubuntu had no problems in taking over my old home inherited frome being used in Fedora, Sabayon totally screwed my Gnome settings; now back in Ubuntu, but having not properly backed up my home, it's screwed anyway, at least it works and I will just have to install and apply some nice themese etc...
    - one BIG plus for Sabayon: combination of equo/entropy (binary repositories) and emerge/portage for sources (if I don't get it wrong) inherited from Gentoo...
    - another yet BIGGER plus: they still use ALSA, grrrreat!!! Who the f**k needs Pulse Audio and similar sh*t? I don't want a streaming server, I want my lappy to work smotthly, fuel-economically (making run on batteries as long as possible) (btw, ever heard of "powertop"?) and flawlessly, without breakdowns etc... (which Ubuntu does, actually)

But the Sabayon team did a good piece of work and I believe version 5 will be something really cool, unless they'd keep it on bleeding stability level... So I moved back to UBUNTU . Originally I was using Fedora, but the version upgrades were damn painful and last bit was when after upgrading to F10 the x weren't running on dual view (on Intel card)... They say it's fixed now, but I am no more interested , although I still keep the small partition with Fedora on my system as a backup if Ubuntu goes to hell...

CePal