View Poll Results: Do you think this is a worthwhile project?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make a grahpical RAR maker!

120 80.00%
  • No, this is a waste of time!

23 15.33%
  • Maybe; the script is great, thanks, but a GUI is unnecessary

7 4.67%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphical RAR program I'm working on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Graphical RAR program I'm working on

Ok, everyone, if you look at the top, I've added another category - the "Coders Release" section

There, you can find the most up-to-date release of my script, but it may not be perfect, and may require special "work-arounds" to make it work (but they should be quite simple )

If you still want the always-perfect, noob proof version of the script, get the one in the attachments section, or the big teal heading one (they are the same )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've successfully located and eliminated the problem, while also adding more features! Hooray! Version 1.3 is released today!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, been needing to make split archives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
    Your script pwn5 but wth r u making like 5 new versions a day!!???
    I can't keep up!!!

Oh, btw: I think that using the os mod in python can achieve the exact same effects of BASH script. I tested it with the script you posted on my gnome-terminal thread, and it works (to some degree). The find $ command has to be replaced by a os mod equivalent but it is functionable and will run in the terminal.
    Not trying to force you or anything, but you should give python a try since it is a very high level language that is extremely easy to learn. Version 0.4 of my script is waiting stagnant on my Linux desktop, I am talking from my laptop so I cannot upload the newer version yet. However, the prefix "0" is apprpriate since it doesn't work yet . The survery section messes up the main "G-FREAKX' menu commands, but the main menu is extremely functionalble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by 1337455 10534 View Post
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.
    Your script pwn5 but wth r u making like 5 new versions a day!!???
    I can't keep up!!!
    Yeah, I just am constantly seeing some way to to something better, or make it easier, or fix a minor problem

Maybe I should look into python. Just a few questions, is it an interpreted language like java or that, or do you need to compile it like C? Also, doesn't that make it alot slower? In gimp, there are 2 effects that do the exact same thing, and one is "normal", and the other is python, and the python one takes like 3 times longer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ryanVickers View Post
    Yeah, I just am constantly seeing some way to to something better, or make it easier, or fix a minor problem

Maybe I should look into python. Just a few questions, is it an interpreted language like java or that, or do you need to compile it like C? Also, doesn't that make it alot slower? In gimp, there are 2 effects that do the exact same thing, and one is "normal", and the other is python, and the python one takes like 3 times longer
    Python is an interpreted language, but not like Java; it's much better. Type python in a shell and you can run python there interactively.

The reason the Python effects are slower is probably due to the way they're written more than the language. I don't remember what language script-fu is, but it's an interpreted language as well.

Python is the most popular language in Ubuntu, but check out Ruby, as well (http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/ - http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/). Both are excellent languages, but Ruby fits me better than Python. Since I've learned Ruby, bash has seemed more and more primitive.
    Last edited by mssever; September 30th, 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Edit: wait, I don't need that (what I was asking for before)
    Last edited by ryanVickers; September 30th, 2007 at 05:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Look into PPA's on launchpad. It would be much easier if we just added your repository and you updated that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

That's what I've been thinking!!! But how should I do that? and how does that work - would it re-download my script to /bin every time I update it (which is going to be much less frequently now - I think I've got every possible feature imaginable ), or is it more complicated?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Here's a more advanced version of the sub-script that mkrar runs when it starts up to check for installed programs. You can now type in your own program, and within a matter of 0 seconds, you will know if it's installed or not, and if it isn't, it can install it for you!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast