Thread: Kubuntu 7.10

Beans

Kubuntu 7.10

Will Kubuntu 7.10 have KDE 4 in it?

I heard KDE 4 comes out in december, so shouldn't they just delay Kubuntu by 2 months or so you get something different?? otherwise 7.10 won't be much of a difference over 7.04...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Kubuntu 7.10

Yes, fitting Kubuntu to KDE release shedules like Ubuntu syncs to Gnome schedules would make for a better desktop.

I expect however I would also not like to wait 2months longer for Gutsy than others, so they can't really win.
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

KDE4 will not make it into Kubuntu 7.10. Ubuntu 7.10 carries 3.5.7 KDE rather than 3.5.6. However the Beta packages are avail for download within Kubuntu 7.10 if you wish to upgrade but note that the software may have bugs in it. KDE4 took too long to make this release sadly
    Current Ubuntu Version: Ubuntu 18.04 X64
    Ubuntu User for 10+ Years...
    Phone: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on Android O

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by misfitpierce View Post
    KDE4 will not make it into Kubuntu 7.10. Ubuntu 7.10 carries 3.5.7 KDE rather than 3.5.6. However the Beta packages are avail for download within Kubuntu 7.10 if you wish to upgrade but note that the software may have bugs in it. KDE4 took too long to make this release sadly
    If the Beta packages are in, then why can't the full version replace the beta? I guess if the package and library names are changing, then it couldn't easily replace it. But can't there be a backport or something, for Kubuntu users who want KDE 4.0 when it comes out?

Beans

They will include KDE4 until stable in the repos, but they won't have it replace anything until Hardy+1, or so I have heard.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

KDE4 won't be "official" for Kubuntu 7.10, but the kubuntu devs have made it easy to add KDE4 to your install.

http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-beta2.php

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stimpack View Post
    Yes, fitting Kubuntu to KDE release shedules like Ubuntu syncs to Gnome schedules would make for a better desktop.

I expect however I would also not like to wait 2months longer for Gutsy than others, so they can't really win.
    It would be hard to do that because KDE doesn't have a standard development time like GNOME has, they just release whenever they have something.

It would be next to impossible to only release when they do.
    The former asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33
    UbuntuForums member #98464 | Ubuntu Help & Support
    Never run any command unless you understand exactly what it will do. [link]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Zeikcied View Post
    If the Beta packages are in, then why can't the full version replace the beta? I guess if the package and library names are changing, then it couldn't easily replace it. But can't there be a backport or something, for Kubuntu users who want KDE 4.0 when it comes out?
    There is too much major changes between the 3.x series and the 4.x series of KDE to be that simple to implement. That is why I guess KDE4 will take a while to be the main Kubuntu interface. I would understand the Kubuntu devs to wait and take time to test and see that everything perfectly fits in place. I don't mind trying KDE4, but on a production box, I prefer a tested stability over the cutting edge packages. As long as I have the choice, I'm happy!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmike View Post
    There is too much major changes between the 3.x series and the 4.x series of KDE to be that simple to implement. That is why I guess KDE4 will take a while to be the main Kubuntu interface. I would understand the Kubuntu devs to wait and take time to test and see that everything perfectly fits in place. I don't mind trying KDE4, but on a production box, I prefer a tested stability over the cutting edge packages. As long as I have the choice, I'm happy!
    I meant that, since KDE4 will still be in Beta when Kubuntu 7.10 comes out, and that the Beta packages are supposed to be included, that it would make sense that the KDE4 final release would take the place of the beta packages. If that makes any sense.

I more want KDE 4 as an option. I'm not saying replace KDE3 right away. That'd be silly. But I at least want the option to switch to KDE4 when it's released, and be able to do it through the official repositories, and not have to do a manual install.

There is one thing I want to know, though. If I install Kubuntu Gutsy, and I go with KDE3, but then switch to KDE4 when that's released, will I have to do any manual configuration to set my system to boot with KDE4? Or will Adept (or the KDE4 packages themselves) take care of that for me? I know it might be too early to ask that, but I want to make sure.

(I don't mind using cutting edge stuff. I've been waiting for KDE4 since I found out about it, and long before I switched to Linux. I've been waiting and anticipating its release for a long time, and I want it as soon as it's officially released.)