Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should i use Gentoo?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Should i use Gentoo?

Hi all, i am thinking of installing gentoo...what would be the advantages of doing so? how is the install process? i have heard that gentoo buildes everything from source so it takes a long long time to get the system up and running and that the install process is not very nice...i am a coder so i do not mind building the system from sources...i was just wondering what the OS has to offer...besides of course the awesome learning experiance
    Visit my Blog at http://rekahsoft.org

Beans

Re: Should i use Gentoo?

Quote Originally Posted by rekahsoft View Post
    Hi all, i am thinking of installing gentoo...what would be the advantages of doing so? how is the install process? i have heard that gentoo buildes everything from source so it takes a long long time to get the system up and running and that the install process is not very nice...i am a coder so i do not mind building the system from sources...i was just wondering what the OS has to offer...besides of course the awesome learning experiance
    Then install it, nothing is hurt by trying

The home page of Gentoo is quite informative, just read and follow along.

I would ask Gentoo users, they seem to love it.

Building from source isn't as hard as some believe it to be, so don't worry about that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

well..the building from source is np for me..lol..i hack up my ubuntu install all the time..i am really thinking about installing gentoo tho...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I am using gentoo as well.

I installed gentoo almost 2 years ago because I could not get some apps in ubuntu (and other OS fedora, suse). If they were available I anded up in dependancy problems. The apps were hugin, autopano-sift, opera, epson printer driver.
    After the well known learning curve I got them installed in gentoo. I recently checked the apps with Gutsy and they are ok now.

Reasons for gentoo are the speed (is clearly faster than ubuntu but the difference is not that big that is should be the only reason to switch to gentoo; the difference is less visible the more powerful your computer is); good documentation, recent software versions available.
    Forums are excellent as well (small but specialized people actively responding)
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans

If you hack up Ubuntu all the time then go ahead and install Gentoo. It might be a learning curve at first (nothing too bad though - and Gentoo has excellent documentation) but you will like it better than Ubuntu in the end, I think.

Ubuntu excels at providing a good default that just works for a lot of people, if you have that urge to customize everything about Ubuntu, however, you might just as well learn how to build a Linux system from ground up the way you like it - and Gentoo will let you do that. It's much more fun that way, IMO, but it does take a certain kind of personality and attitude towards computers to enjoy it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ok..i have decided i am going to install gentoo...i have read through the install handbook...i am going to go with a partitioning scheme like so:

/boot as ext2 size:100mb
    swap size 2gb
    / as reiserfs size 15gb
    /home as reiserfs size:the rest available

i am going to turn on DMA...does anybody have any eperiance with this? and do you see any issues with my partitioning scheme?...do u think that 15gb is too big for /...and is 2gb too big of a swap?..i have always had it at 2gb but i don't think that much has ever been used..any tips before i start?

Beans

i am going to turn on DMA...does anybody have any eperiance with this? and do you see any issues with my partitioning scheme?...do u think that 15gb is too big for /...and is 2gb too big of a swap?..i have always had it at 2gb but i don't think that much has ever been used..any tips before i start?
    Do you hibernate? Fi not, then yes, 2 GB is a waste. People have tried getting the swap smaller, and found 128 MB often worked. If you have the room, I would use 512 MB.

Beans

ok..i have decided i am going to install gentoo...i have read through the install handbook...i am going to go with a partitioning scheme like so:

/boot as ext2 size:100mb
    swap size 2gb
    / as reiserfs size 15gb
    /home as reiserfs size:the rest available

Ask this question on Gentoo forums, you're likely to get better answers. I would consider using something like 20GB partition for root. Portage tree, from what I've read, can take up quite a bit of space, and some programs (like Openoffice for example) require considerable amount of disk space during compilation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

well i decided i am not going to install gentoo today...reason being cause i have school work to do and i need a stable system for school...i am buying a new desktop and laptop for university in the near future so then i will set up a system with gentoo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

15 GB for / is more than enough. 10 GB will do as well. If the 10 GB is full it is better to clean up (old distfiles etc).
    Please check the meaning of use flags. I have a limited amount in my make.conf and the rest per package (in package.use). If you put all use flags in make.conf you miss one of the advantages of gentoo. Goal is to have only those use flags in make.conf that are often use and the rest per package. You can check the use-flags with emerge -pv ebuild-you-want-to-install.
    Success !
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast