Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shippit a waste of money?

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

shippit a waste of money?

I was thinking, how much money does ubuntu 'waste' on shippit???

I mean its a good idea and all but maybe they could ofload the spreading free cd's task to the community i mean it must cost crap loads to run and surly that could be better spent on programmers?

I am i just crazy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: shippit a waste of money?

Well, it certainly helps that Mark Shuttleworth is a multimillionaire...

I think of it as a great marketing move. It differentiates Ubuntu from the other distros. And, now they are certainly restricting shipit. Before, you could order huge batches of CDs, now it's being cut down to avoid wastage. But in that brief shipit orgy, Ubuntu became the most popular Desktop Linux distro..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: shippit a waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    And, now they are certainly restricting shipit. Before, you could order huge batches of CDs, now it's being cut down to avoid wastage.
    So, that's the reason. I thought it was just me that had that problem. I tried ordering my typical 15 (5 of each) and got all three requests rejected. I almost cried.
    Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Many people want to install Ubuntu--or Linux in general--and don't have internet access, so it is a great service for them.
    NOT a morning person...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RomeReactor View Post
    Many people want to install Ubuntu--or Linux in general--and don't have internet access, so it is a great service for them.
    Not really.

If you don't have internet access, Ubuntu kind of stinks. You can't really install software in Ubuntu without internet access.

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Not really.

If you don't have internet access, Ubuntu kind of stinks. You can't really install software in Ubuntu without internet access.

I agree!!!

Its a cool qimmick, but surly if that money, which MUST be in at least the thousends, was put into bounties then ubuntu would rocket.

Maybe I should phone mark shuttleworth up and ask him to stop shippit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not really.

Not everyone needs an internet connection to use OpenOffice or Gimp, particularly students and people who can't afford having an internet connection or windows.

Though I agree that Ubuntu without an internet connection is extremely limited--as are most other distros--and installing software becomes dependency hell (if installing is an option at all), I don't dismiss people who get a hand-me-down computer or barely manage to save enough to buy a cheap machine (or build one themselves out of parts given to them by others or, again, bought cheap). You'd be surprised at the amount of people who request a burnt Ubuntu CD to install in a computer without internet access.

Or perhaps you're just thinking of people in more affluent countries.
    NOT a morning person...

Beans

Not really.

I don't agree with that myself.

I think to be fair, you should take into account the amount of things you can do from a fresh install, and compare it to windows. (also won't play most media without downloading codecs, no office suite etc. etc.)

Then compare aptoncd from a friend to software you've bought on a cd from a store.
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yes, without internet, Ubuntu really sucks except for the most basic tasks...and still, you can't use your drivers (imagine being stuck in 800x600 resolution, codecs, etc...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think to be fair, you should take into account the amount of things you can do from a fresh install, and compare it to windows. (also won't play most media without downloading codecs, no office suite etc. etc.)
    You have a nice point there, Pricey, although Windows supports more propietary codecs out of the box than Ubuntu.

In the Windows world, people tend to use CDs more, and most libraries are statically linked, unlike Ubuntu. EDIT : Ignore this, my mistake!
    Last edited by Lord Illidan; September 21st, 2007 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Correction

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast