Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Wine problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wine problem

I have a radeon 9200 graphics card and an amd athlon 2600+..
    I am really new to linux so if you give me a line command I will be able to get you more info....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What driver do you have installed for that card?

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

I'm having exactly the same problem, with two different computers.
    A complete purge does nothing on either comp so it must be a hardware problem. Geforce 8 series on both (installed driver from nvidia site). Different soundcards though in each.
    Last edited by frychiko; September 23rd, 2007 at 02:03 PM.

Beans

Ive been having the same problem on my older laptop. it has an ati agp rage pro lt. im using a mach64 driver compiled for direct rendering. so its pretty possible the driver is flawed. wine runs fine on my desktop. im glad someone acknowledges that wine can crash. seems everyone else concludes that wine, at least on startup, is impervious wish that were true!

Beans

I am having a similar problem with the latest version of wine (downloaded at the behest of the automatic update thingamabob).

When I try to open winecfg it hangs.

I have been unable to uninstall/reinstall wine in synaptic or automatix...the process just hangs.

I tried to remove from command line using apt-get and I am told wine is not installed and yet...I can still run the programs installed within wine, albeit they seem a little slower than I remember and when I try to install something new within wine...it also hangs my computer and I have to restart xwindows.

I'm just a noob and don't want to reinstall the entire os just because one program has become corrupt. That's something I might do in windows, but linux is supposed to be safer and more stable right?

What can I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sometimes after a Wine update, you need to run "wineprefixcreate" to update Wine's registry, especially if you have manually created any registry entries. If you don't run it, the behavior you are describing may occur. If that doesn't fix the problem, then it is not likely that your Wine installation is corrupt, but rather something about your .wine directory is corrupt. For troubleshooting putposes, you can rename the current .wine folder and then run "winecfg" to create a new one and see if the problem still occurs.

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12