Thread: Incest Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: Incest Thread

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    No, it is not possible. That way no one can say, "I never said that."
    Seems fair.

"First, deciding what topics are appropriate and what may not be is not an activity we relish, nor is it one in which we engage frequently. We try to be fair and evenhanded, but we are not perfect and we admit that."

Yes, I understand this, and please don't take anything I say as personal (this applies to all mods involved in this).

"Instead of comparing your topic to others, please try to keep the discussion to whether there is any merit in discussing the legalization of incest with a bunch of computer geeks (using the term as a badge of honor...). I still can't see the benefit of the discussion."

OK. The reason I compare the topic to others is a question of consistency. You don't see that there is benefit in the discussion. Quite alright. I however, do. I would be very interested in the findings and opinions in such a discussion, as it would be with others who I identify with, as a fellow computer geek. Nothing I can say can change your opinion that it is a meritless thread - as such, it would be a waste of time to try. All I can do is attempt to point to other threads that have been allowed in order to try to show that, even though you see no merit, I do, and the history of what has been allowed would imply that this is allowed too - in the same way one would refer to precedent in a legal matter.

As such, what I'm advocating is a path of least intervention. Where we disagree (on merit of discussing it), and where previous threads have discussed (somewhat?) similar issues, and where we do not know yet whether an incest discussion would have degraded below civility, and where it was in an area designed for political discussion and where a user must have agreed to a code and is warned about possibly offensive content, I believe it is appropriate to allow the thread to continue. If it should degrade into a flamewar (whether at me or others) then I would wholeheartedly support a closing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheMono View Post
    As such, what I'm advocating is a path of least intervention. Where we disagree (on merit of discussing it), and where previous threads have discussed (somewhat?) similar issues, and where we do not know yet whether an incest discussion would have degraded below civility, and where it was in an area designed for political discussion and where a user must have agreed to a code and is warned about possibly offensive content, I believe it is appropriate to allow the thread to continue. If it should degrade into a flamewar (whether at me or others) then I would wholeheartedly support a closing.
    I will give this some consideration and make a decision tomorrow.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro

Thank you, that is all I'm asking. Have a good day.

Beans
    Distro

I considered it. I even went to the Backyard and read through several other threads for comparison. I see your point, but I remain unconvinced this is going to be a fruitful topic of discussion.

In addition, I'm choosing to stand behind Vorian and his decision to close the thread, which was appropriate and within his power according to the Backyard rules.

Beans
    Distro

Vorian's power was never under dispute, it was his judgement I was raising. I sent him a PM asking him to comment in this thread, and it seems he chose not to.

Very well. I'm dissapointed, and I obviously disagree with you, but it's also not my call to make.

Beans
    Distro

Going back to my earlier statement that some topics fall into a bit of a gray area as regards the Forums Code of Conduct, we have given our staff a wide berth to use their best judgment in those indefinite moments. From the Backyard rules (emphasis in red mine)
    Finally, in the event a *Moderator* or *Administrator* finds a violation of the rules in this forum, either on their own or while investigating a reported post, they have the power to do any combination of the following using their best judgment:
    a. Remove or edit the post.
    b. Send the post to the jail.
    c. Lock the thread.
    d. Give the author of the post an infraction point or multiple points.
    e. Ban the user. When in doubt staff should refer decisions for discussion by posting in the staff forums before taking action.
    Decisions can be appealed in the Resolution Center, although if there is a clear violation of any part of the codes of conduct decisions will be automatically upheld.
    We encourage you to follow these simple rules, so everyone can enjoy this off topic area of Ubuntu Forums. If the rules are violated this section will be moderated to enforce the rules mentioned above.
    Vorian made a decision based on his best judgment at the time. I happen to concur with his reasoning. Even if I didn't, unless I felt he had overstepped his bounds and done something outside of his authority, I wouldn't choose to overturn his decision.

Sorry to disappoint you. I know we disagree on this one, and that's never fun. Thank you for being respectful of and in the process, though. That is appreciated and shows maturity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you. I know we disagree on this one, and that's never fun. Thank you for being respectful of and in the process, though. That is appreciated and shows maturity.
    Cheers, and thank you for seriously considering my points. It's all that can be asked of admins and mods - one will never agree with every decision they make, but the sign of a quality admin / mod is one that will engage in reasonable discussion to defend decisions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12