Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need an XML editor

Beans

Need an XML editor

I recently started learning XML, and I'm using GEdit as my XML editor. I like it a lot, but it lacks a few features that I need.

Can anyone suggest an open source XML editor with a clean, simple interface that can validate a schema as well as an XML document? Ideally I would like one that can generate an XML document from a schema and vice versa, but that's not essential. (I would probably stick with GEdit if it had validation.)

I tried mlview, but the validator doesn't provide very helpful error messages. (On the document I'm working on now, it just says the name of the element and "Error".) I appreciate any suggestions you can make.

Beans

Re: Need an XML editor

Beans

That may be what I'm looking for. I downloaded it and I'll try it out. Thanks.

Beans

I've been using XML Copy Editor for several days, and it's almost exactly what I need. It can't generate an XML document from a schema or a schema from a document, but the author is planning to add that feature. Thanks for pointing me to it; it's a great program.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Falthon View Post
    I've been using XML Copy Editor for several days, and it's almost exactly what I need. It can't generate an XML document from a schema or a schema from a document, but the author is planning to add that feature. Thanks for pointing me to it; it's a great program.
    Not a problem, glad to be of assistance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

http://www.screem.org <--- Screem is also an XML editor but I have no idea if it has the features you need.
    Those that can,do.Those that can't,complain!

Your right to speak doesn't include our obligation to take you seriously

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
    http://www.screem.org <--- Screem is also an XML editor but I have no idea if it has the features you need.
    I couldn't figure out how to validate a document or schema with Screem. Its menu options seem to be more focused towards HTML.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Falthon View Post
    I couldn't figure out how to validate a document or schema with Screem. Its menu options seem to be more focused towards HTML.
    It is more focused towards HTML. It doesn't understand schemas and as such requires a dtd for some features in XML. The structure aware features such as selecting the current element, selecting the parent element etc. will still all work however.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Smiley View Post
    Thanks for this one .... I hadn't seen this one before, and I like the features it has - very useful!

EDIT: Wow, and it's memory foot print is minuscule even with large XML documents!
    Last edited by Geekkit; September 30th, 2007 at 11:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Please share the way you compile xml-copy-editor. I have problem with

Code:
    checking wxWidgets version... ./configure: line 19847: wx-config: command not found not found configure: error: wxWidgets is required. Try --with-wx-config.
    wxWidgets is out of Ubuntu repository .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast