Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tested the 1-click install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Anyone tested the 1-click install?

I tried 10.3 a couple of weeks ago, and uninstalled it again becuase of the package manager. It was a little faster, but more of the same. I ran across this link today and was curios. It is supposed to be included in 10.3 by default? Package management is the only reason I never keep open suse installed. Has anyone tried it out yet?

http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats/10.3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Anyone tested the 1-click install?

I tried it out, but not with the restricted formats link. They have an entire software portal, much like getded.net for ubuntu. It looks like the OpenSUSE reops are down right now though, so there really isn't much going on anywhere, but when things are online, you can check out the portal here.

It's not just a 10.3 thing either. You can install compiz-fusion in 10.2 using the one click installer! Read here!

Here are a few more examples of the one click install. Good Stuff!
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That is pretty exciting. I always said that opensuse might climb back up the Distrowatch ladder if they could ever simplify their package management.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Incense View Post
    It looks like the OpenSUSE reops are down right now though, so there really isn't much going on anywhere, but when things are online, you can check out the portal here.
    software.opensuse.org is down but the repos are available through the redirector: http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/ and http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

It works very nice. It's easy and fast.

BuildService can even be use in Ubuntu and other distros, I believe it will become (in a near future) the place for searching software for all distros.
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hm, if my memory doesn't fail me I remember that Ubuntu is planning to establish their own build service in one of the upcoming releases. Pretty sensible from a marketing point of view to not guide your audience to a service offered by a competitor.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Erunno View Post
    Hm, if my memory doesn't fail me I remember that Ubuntu is planning to establish their own build service in one of the upcoming releases. Pretty sensible from a marketing point of view to not guide your audience to a service offered by a competitor.
    What a disappointing way of think. BuildService already offer Ubuntu, Fedora, and other distro support, why making double effort? It would just be the software place for Linux, that's all. Nobody believe that Linspire agreement was bad because it guide Ubuntu audience to CNR, a servide offered by a competitor.

Linux shouldn't be fighting with himself. It should offer different options, but that doesn't mean that they can't share more than a kernel.

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LuisAugusto View Post
    What a disappointing way of think. BuildService already offer Ubuntu, Fedora, and other distro support, why making double effort? It would just be the software place for Linux, that's all. Nobody believe that Linspire agreement was bad because it guide Ubuntu audience to CNR, a servide offered by a competitor.

Linux shouldn't be fighting with himself. It should offer different options, but that doesn't mean that they can't share more than a kernel.
    Well, they're competing for the same audience and probably trying to break into the enterprise sector by being a force on the user desktop (with SuSE/Novell having already a foot in the business sector). A Linux distribution cannot lock you with technical measures but they can try to offer you anything you might ever want by themselves so that you never develop the desire to look at anything else. Yes, this means a lot of duplication but on the other hand duplication of effort has been a trademark of the Linux desktop for a long time *shrug*

There's no "working together" when you're a corporate entity. Distributions work together as long as they think it helps their own agenda (making money).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Erunno View Post
    Well, they're competing for the same audience and probably trying to break into the enterprise sector by being a force on the user desktop (with SuSE/Novell having already a foot in the business sector). A Linux distribution cannot lock you with technical measures but they can try to offer you anything you might ever want by themselves so that you never develop the desire to look at anything else. Yes, this means a lot of duplication but on the other hand duplication of effort has been a trademark of the Linux desktop for a long time *shrug*

There's no "working together" when you're a corporate entity. Distributions work together as long as they think it helps their own agenda (making money).
    Yes, Yes, that's why everything in their code is GPL or compatible, of course. Open Source it's about being rich and selfish.
    Last edited by LuisAugusto; October 3rd, 2007 at 05:23 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by LuisAugusto View Post
    Yes, Yes, that's why everything in their code is GPL or compatible, of course. Open Source it's about being rich and selfish.
    In my opinion this is certainly the case when it comes to large companies like Novell and RedHat. While there are a lot of people who work for free in their leisure time in Free Software projects the aforementioned companies have simply found a way to make money with Free Software (nothing bad about that). That doesn't mean that they have to believe the slightest in Free Software ideals. It's just the case that they have to play nice with the FS community as a lot of code gets developed outside their company so it's in their best interest to maintain a good relationship to this community.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast