Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best place to "start out" with computers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What's the best place to "start out" with computers?

I'm not totally computer illiterate. I know how to do somethings with computers. The most I can do with them is some HTML. I was wondering how you guys got so good, like with programing and stuff like that. I haven't switched to Ubuntu yet, but I'm planing to. Before I do though, I wanted to understand computers better. Any suggestions where to start?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: What's the best place to "start out" with computers?

I started playing around with Visual Basic 6 when I was 13 or so. That got me interested in programming. I moved onto PHP next and then I started coding in C++ and went to college as a Computer Programmer Analyst.

So I'd say just start learning to program in a higher level language that's pretty easy to pick up. If you want something to subsidise your html knowledge, I would suggest PHP5. You could learn to make dynamic web pages with content loaded from a database. You could do all sorts of fun stuff with it.

Oh, and read up on parallel programming to guarantee gainful employment over the next few decades.
    Last edited by ryno519; September 16th, 2007 at 12:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Google.
    Oh, you mean development?
    Python's a great one to start with, though Java's pretty good, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I would recommed Python aswell. It is a very high level language, which is good for playing and learning with, specially about programming logic.

Beans

I disagree with the other people. I think you should learn some math and assembly first. If you start out with a high level languages it may turn into a serious crutch. If you start with assembly then high level languages will just be practical laziness. Besides Python and Java are crap languages.
    Last edited by Fbot1; September 16th, 2007 at 04:07 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fbot1 View Post
    I disagree with the other people. I think you should learn some math and assembly first. If you start out with a high level languages it may turn into a serious crutch. If you start with assembly will just be practical laziness. Besides Python and Java are crap languages.
    lol, I'm in the path all of this (Im studying Computer Engineering) but first I have to study Precalculus though Calculus but is always good to learn the basics and later on move on to more advance language, unless you do this as a hobby not as a job. At least thats what I say to myself
    Contrary to popular belief, America is not a democracy, it is a Chucktatorship.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you want to know more about linux before giving it a shot, I highly recomend the linux reality podcast. Start with the oldest episodes first.

If you're interested in learning more about how various things work don't be afraid to read. Solving your problems through google as opposed to asking for a quick fix on a forum can lead you to some pretty educational stuff.

It would also be a good idea to make a point of learning the shell and work your way into bash scripting. Linux Command is a good place to get started.

Here are some more places of interest.

How Stuff Works
    Wikipedia
    Google Guide
    die.net
    The Linux Documentation Project
    Whatis.com
    SS64.com
    Python411
    Last edited by DreadPirateRoby; September 16th, 2007 at 05:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Fbot1 View Post
    I disagree with the other people. I think you should learn some math and assembly first. If you start out with a high level languages it may turn into a serious crutch. If you start with assembly then high level languages will just be practical laziness. Besides Python and Java are crap languages.
    Or he could learn to code in, you know... something he'll actually use someday.

Beans

Python and Java are good languages. Start with python it teaches you good code technique but still easy to learn.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ryno519 View Post
    Or he could learn to code in, you know... something he'll actually use someday.
    What do mean? Assembly is still used today and even if it wasn't it would still be very good practice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast