Thread: [SOLVED] WOW freezes after logging in on "Loading..." screen

Beans

[SOLVED] WOW freezes after logging in on "Loading..." screen

Hey Peoples.

I have seen other posts discussing this issue, could not find any in the ubuntu forums.

I have successfully installed WOW + Expansion + Updates. I followed the guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wo...efcec48df67b00 and am able to start up the application.

Frame rate is fine, sound is fine. However after entering my login details it advises me login is successful then displays a "Loading..." message then everything freezes, except for the music which continues as per normal.

i cannot quit the application through System Monitor, it says it's stopped. When i quit it it says its becomes zombied. Even if i restart gnome the music continues.

I am running an athlon dual core +4200 with a nvidia gigabyte gforce 8600GT.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

dag

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: WOW freezes after logging in on "Loading..." screen

this has been on the ubuntu forums...a few times.

the problem is that blizzard wants to get some user data from you, and wine chokes on it. Try running wow in D3d mode. Log in, then log out and continue with the open gl version. That should get it to work.

If you want a better answer, search through my posts, I know I've posted about this problem before, and listed more detail than I did here.

Beans

Re: WOW freezes after logging in on "Loading..." screen

thanks, that is exactly what the problem was. Resolved ,.

Beans

Question Re: [SOLVED] WOW freezes after logging in on "Loading..." screen

personally, i'm stupid, so what does 'd3d' and 'open gl' made, and how do u do them?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: [SOLVED] WOW freezes after logging in on "Loading..." screen

Quote Originally Posted by little cazy View Post
    personally, i'm stupid, so what does 'd3d' and 'open gl' made, and how do u do them?
    I think you're perfectly capable of reading one of the dozens of howtos on running WoW via WINE. If you have any further qustions please start a new thread, or post in an existing thread that is not marked SOLVED.