Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Do college students use Linux?

I'm in College and use Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i work for the Feds and i use Linux. Our accountability system may soon get an upgrade from MS servers to Suze.

DON'T PANIC!
    Feds=military

Beans

I'm in a computer science and engineering school in France and most of the school computers have linux install. I'd say 30% linux (fedora, redhat ... ) 30% dual boot with win xp and the rest winxp only. Well its mainly a computer science and electronics school so seems logical.
    Last edited by cellerit; October 29th, 2007 at 01:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

yuo me too in college and i use ubuntu
    my Blog-Learning LINUX
    LINUX user #456298
    UBUNTU user #18079

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am a student who has returned to college after 7 years. I used Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse) before, but I have noticed a (about 40%) of students in my program (IT and Networking Tech) use Linux. It runs clean and fast, and you can run the XP environment required for half the course in Virtualbox or VMWare.
    Xubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Although my university is a MS place, the CS students do have a "non-windows" room running Linux and BSD - apart from that, all campus computers run off an XP network, which is sort of a necessary evil because of all the subject specific software the campus runs (about 50 different programs, most of which are Windows-Specific.).

I can't even get onto the university wifi with my ubuntu laptop, as they use MS certificates for login and so far I've not found a way around it. Also, their brand new just-installed-this-year machines take a full five minutes from power on to usable desktop. The old ones take ten. This is a pain in the **** when you need notes in a hurry.

Granted, I can see why we need all the MS stuff, but if only they'd use more open standards it would be much better. I have to carry around the OO.org portableapp - we don't even have that on the campus machines.
    Sudo aptitude install brain common-sense reason FUDfilter patience persistence sheer-luck sense-of-adventure

Don't sudo rm -rf! Read the manual page: $ man command. Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Depressed Man View Post
    Haha the umd-secure wireless network at the University of Maryland is like that too. they only have support for XP and certain chipsets under XP (though they give you directions on how to set it up if you don't have their requirements..since it just seems to be a certificate and certain settings).

But it doesn't work in Vista (they realize that) or OSX or Linux (they also realize it doesn't work so well for these two either). So we just have to use the regular umd (which requires you to logon with your university ID and password. Kinda annoying when your going from class to class.

Class A: *logs onto wireless* Uses it for session
    Walks to Class B (in a different building)
    Class B: *logs onto wireless yet again*

To bad they can't set it up so the wireless networks all work together. They're all called umd and they all link into the same Maryland server and what not. But it doesn't seem to recognize you (despite them saying they give you two hour sessions) when you change wireless routers.
    We have the routers that hand-off the signal in the library at GWU, and they're >$1000 a piece, which is probably why you guys don't have them. I'm just wondering who goes jogging around the library using their laptop :/ Why wouldn't you have to re-log-on anyway, though? Don't you shut down between classes? I used to try keeping my laptop on and just shoving it in the bag, but there's no air and it overheats.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

i use linux on my computer but i type all my big reports in the university computer labs(which use XP exclusively) so i don't have to buy so much ink and paper =P

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheTruth34 View Post
    i use linux on my computer but i type all my big reports in the university computer labs(which use XP exclusively) so i don't have to buy so much ink and paper =P
    Don't you have to pay for printing at school? You could still do them in LaTeX on your computer to get really nice equations on the science and math ones, then have LaTeX output a pdf which you can print on the Windows boxes. I use pdf for anything going between platforms.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    Don't you have to pay for printing at school? You could still do them in LaTeX on your computer to get really nice equations on the science and math ones, then have LaTeX output a pdf which you can print on the Windows boxes. I use pdf for anything going between platforms.
    i didnt even kno there was such a thing lol, ill have to try that out, off to learn about latex =) thanks

Page 16 of 81 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast