Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C prog. nested loops?

Beans

C prog. nested loops?

I didnt really feel like I should post in this section because I'm just learning to program C on my own from C Primer Plus but i'm stuck on one of these exercises in chapter 6 question 2. ok here is the exercise

2. Use nested loops to produce the following pattern:

$
    $$
    $$$
    $$$$
    $$$$$
    ------------------------------------------------
    so I am suppose to create this using a for loop I'm pretty sure so if u can explain this to me with out giving me the answer I would really appreciate it and if you could explain it without giving me things that dont come until later chapters i'd appreciate it

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: C prog. nested loops?

Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

int main()
    {
      int i, j;
      for ( i = 0; i < 5; ++i )
      {
        for ( j = 0; j < i+1; ++j )
        {
          printf( "$" );
        }
        printf( "\n" );
      }
    }

I can't believe you are already "cheating" on what appears to be a first assignment!

Here's the explanation: The outer loop increments the variable i by 1 each time it loops, for 5 loops, and just at the end of the loop prints a carriage return. The interior loop is the one responsible for printing the $ character(s). It prints a number of $ character(s) equal the number of times the outer for-loop has been executed. I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by dwhitney67; September 9th, 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Beans

I am not cheating I didn't want the answer I wanted someone to explain how to do it. He didnt explain well enough(at least to me) what I need to do to make a specific number of rows and have things and a specific part of the row. I'm not going to look at the answer you posted unless I really really have to. I would rather someone explain how to make a specifc number of columns and rows and place things in a specific spot. and yes that does make sense
    ps I dont cheat I'm trying to learn it and I didnt ask for the answer
    Last edited by caoinan; September 9th, 2007 at 12:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by caoinan View Post
    I am not cheating I didn't want the answer I wanted someone to explain how to do it. He didnt explain well enough(at least to me) what I need to do to make a specific number of rows and have things and a specific part of the row. I'm not going to look at the answer you posted unless I really really have to. I would rather someone explain how to make a specifc number of columns and rows and place things in a specific spot. and yes that does make since
    ps I dont cheat I'm trying to learn it and I didnt ask for the answer
    I edited my post with an explanation of the "algorithm". Please let me know if you still have any questions.

Beans

thank you I after looking how you did it I realized I was trying to make it harder than what it was. could you explain how do i put things like letters from the alphabet in a specific spot in a column or row. I seem to be having trouble understanding nested loops in that way so without straight up giving me the answer how would I make a pyramid out of letters. I'm really not trying to just get the answer I just needed a more in depth explanation then the one given in the book which was only like 1 page

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thank you I after looking how you did it I realized I was trying to make it harder than what it was. could you explain how do i put things like letters from the alphabet in a specific spot in a column or row. I seem to be having trouble understanding nested loops in that way so without straight up giving me the answer how would I make a pyramid out of letters. I'm really not trying to just get the answer I just needed a more in depth explanation then the one given in the book which was only like 1 page
    I haven't seen the book or the explanation it has, but I'll give it a go.
    For a pyramid of letters, the outer loop would control the number of lines. I'd probably tackle the details of the lines within the pyramid in two stages - (1) getting to the right place on the line, and (2) getting the data out there. Here's a hint for part 1: the computer able to distinguish between "nothing" and "whitespace" (the blank part before the data). Whitespace is commonly "filled" with a number of "spaces" that you can work out beforehand.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

Beans

and could you explain this part a little more
    Code:
    for(row = 0; row < i+1; row++)
    I know how the loops work just an explanation of what makes it stop when it does i guess

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

and could you explain this part a little more
    Code:
    I know how the loops work just an explanation of what makes it stop when it does i guess
    Presumably the code is for the inner loop. This loop depends on whatever is in "i" to stop - it works out what "i+1" is each time through and compares "row" with it in order to decide when to stop.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Code:
    for ( i = 0; i < 5; ++i )
    This loop controls the number of rows to be printed. So it prints from row 0 to row 4:

row 0
    row 1
    row 2
    row 3
    row 4

That's five rows, fulfilling the i=0 and i < 5 constraints.

Code:
    This loop controls the number of $ printed for each row.

For every row, it adds 1 to the row number, and prints that value of $s. So it the loop is in row 0, it wlll print 0 + 1 number of $s, which is just one $. If the loop is in row 1, it will print 1 + 1, which is $$. In row 3, it will print $$$, and so on.

To summarise with a diagram:

When i = 0, print 0 + 1 = $
    When i = 1, print 1 + 1 = $$
    When i = 2, print 2 + 1 = $$$
    When i = 3, print 3 + 1 = $$$$
    When i = 4, print 4 + 1 = $$$$$

Beans

ok thank for explaining that part for me I finally get it now. if you could explain in pseudocode what to do for this question with a small explanation (use comments to make it easier for me)
    4. Have a program request a user to enter an uppercase letter. Use nested loops to produce a pattern like this:

A
    ABA
    ABCBA
    ABCDCDA
    ABCDEDCBA

The pattern should extend to the character entered. For example, the preceding pattern would result from an input of E...

this is supposed to be a pyramid
    I'm really not trying to get the answer but I know thats what it looks like I'm just trying to understand how to use the nested for loops to produce the output I want
    Last edited by caoinan; September 9th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast