Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Threats, and using the code of conduct in ways it was never intended imho

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Threats, and using the code of conduct in ways it was never intended imho

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I'm saying that the manner in which you did so came off as disrespectful, whether that was your intent or not (and I tend to think it was not).
    No it was not the intent. But neither was it sugar coated, that is not me. Never has been. But when you are reading into what might be the meaning vs plain words you can twist anything. Is someones way of writing or expression going to be dictated now (You must all candy coat everything)? Because to me, asking someone to "please" not do something. is not disrespectful.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Threats, and using the code of conduct in ways it was never intended imho

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    No it was not the intent. But neither was it sugar coated, that is not me. Never has been. But when you are reading into what might be the meaning vs plain words you can twist anything. Is someones way of writing or expression going to be dictated now (You must all candy coat everything)? Because to me, asking someone to "please" not do something. is not disrespectful.
    Please bear with a flawed example as I attempt to illustrate my point.

This first request is polite.
    Please consider that your information may be outdated and therefore incorrect. I would suggest that the opposite of what you are saying is true.
    This request is not, regardless of its intent.
    Please don't post this flawed, outdated garbage around here.
    In the first example the person being spoken to is given respect. In the second he is not. No matter what you actually intend, people will only have your words to go by in attempting to interpret those intentions. The first example expresses the same idea with clarity and holds nothing back. The second is equally clear, but will rise rise to negative emotions in the listener/reader.

If a person can't be bothered to try to communicate in a way that their listener can hear, understand, and accept his ideas, I suggest that person is either lazy, arrogant, or unfriendly...either that, or simply ignorant of how to communicate effectively. Because I have seen you around here for a long time, and because of your history of being a truly helpful member of these forums, I want to presume the last option is the one that applies to you. You have good ideas. You have information worth sharing and being listened to. If you were to learn to express your thoughts in a more gentle fashion you could do far more, with far less effort.

Politeness is not intended to force people to stop being themselves, rather it is intended as a way to help the rest of the world see you for who you are and consider your thoughts and opinions on their merits, while expressing to the world that you consider them valuable and worthy of your time and attention. If the latter is not true, then you have no reason to attempt to change. If you do respect people, then you should try to show them.

"Sugar coating" is not necessarily evil, if your actual content is undiminished. Instead, it allows people freer access to consider your content, rather than be distracted by the manner of expression in which the content is contained.
    Last edited by matthew; September 13th, 2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: I need to use commas so my sentences flow better...I added one
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123