Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linus T. advice when buying a machine: "buy one with Intel graphics and wireless"

Beans
    Hidden!

Linus T. advice when buying a machine: "buy one with Intel graphics and wireless"

APC: Out of curiosity, do you have anything to say to hardware manufacturers who refuse to release datasheets or specifications about the functioning of their hardware so it could operate with the Linux kernel?

LT: Is "I hope you all die a painful death" too strong?

The good news is that a lot of hw manufacturers are actually doing the right thing. Intel in particular has improved wrt open source a lot, and for that reason I tend to suggest that when buying a machine, just make sure that you buy one with Intel graphics and wireless. That takes care of the two biggest annoyances right there.

But Intel certainly isn't the only one, and we're doing fairly well in general - with just a few dark spots.

http://apcmag.com/node/7012

Beans

Re: Linus T. advice when buying a machine: "buy one with Intel graphics and wireless"

i liked the comment about Debian.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

Re: Linus T. advice when buying a machine: "buy one with Intel graphics and wireless"

ATI going Open Source ( if it actually happens, I have healthy skepticism about the whole thing ) means we wont have to deal with Intel's horrible business practices anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriid View Post
    ATI going Open Source ( if it actually happens, I have healthy skepticism about the whole thing ) means we wont have to deal with Intel's horrible business practices anymore.
    Yea, instead we can hop on to the AMD's horrible busines practices wagon.

Beans

Horrible business practices?

Unfortunatly Intel graphics cards generally aren't that good. Before I've been suggesting people go with nVidia, but if ATI does go open source, I'll probably start suggesting them.

Intel's Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads are the best processors for your money right now, so I suggest people buy Intel processors, and Intel compatible MOBOs generally have good linux support.
    Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo e6600; ASUS P5N-E SLI; GeForce 7600GT; 2 GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    Ubuntu Feisty 7.06 and Window XP

Beans

intel video is better than SiS
    but if it can't do fusion
    chuck norris can divide by zero.
    chuck norris can beat a brick wall at tennis.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kuolio View Post
    You're comparing AMD to Intel in their monopolistic business practices? Its not even close.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Kuolio View Post
    name these horrible bussiness practices? amd has supported open source before they even bought ati......
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4cedOut View Post
    Horrible business practices?

Unfortunatly Intel graphics cards generally aren't that good. Before I've been suggesting people go with nVidia, but if ATI does go open source, I'll probably start suggesting them.

Intel's Core 2 Duos and Core 2 Quads are the best processors for your money right now, so I suggest people buy Intel processors, and Intel compatible MOBOs generally have good linux support.
    I would recommend the Intel graphics for laptops as they consume a lot less battery power then Nvidia or ATI, and it is good enough graphics wise for a laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Regarding the intel cpus and wifi, I have nothing but respect for them, but intel graphics are not so good if you are planning to run 3D games on a laptop..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast