Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation !!! HowTo set up - connect EVDO card or usb enabled phone ( modem ) Updated

If your card is not configured automatically you can use one of the following howto's
    This HowTo has been revised and now includes three methods, first one using new Airprime driver, second(longer) using USBserial driver and third for
    USB760 users.

If first one is not working for you try the second one , from my test there is no speed difference between both drivers .

First method using Airprime driver

1 -Insert card

2 -in terminal type:
    Code:
    dmesg
    If you see something like this:
    Code:
    [  171.945756] airprime 6-1:1.0: airprime converter detected
    [  171.945890] usb 6-1: airprime converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [  171.945933] usb 6-1: airprime converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    [  171.945983] usb 6-1: airprime converter now attached to ttyUSB2
    [  171.945990] airprime 6-1:1.1: airprime converter detected
    [  171.946034] usb 6-1: airprime converter now attached to ttyUSB3
    [  171.946105] usb 6-1: airprime converter now attached to ttyUSB4
    [  171.946149] usb 6-1: airprime converter now attached to ttyUSB5
    [  171.946155] airprime 6-1:1.2: airprime converter detected
    [  171.946200] usb 6-1: airprime converter now attached to ttyUSB6
    [  171.946242] usb 6-1: airprime converter now attached to ttyUSB7
    [  171.946284] usb 6-1: airprime converter now attached to ttyUSB8
    These are your device identifiers for your EVDO card.
    This means that your device has been installed with Airprime driver

3 -open new terminal window and type:
    Code:
    sudo wvdialconf
    gksudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
    Code:
          replace line:
    Init1 = ATZ 

with this:
    Init1 = ATX0

and add this :
    Stupid Mode = on
    Auto Reconnect = on 
    Carrier Check = no 
    [Dialer shh] 
    Init3 = ATM0 
    [Dialer pulse] 
    Dial Command = ATDP
    In the line " Username = " put your phone number followed by your providers domain , for Verizon it is :
    your phone number(including area code) and domain(for verizon it is @vzw3g.com) ,
    in this format: Username = 9178889999@vzw3g .com
    for sprint it will be 9178889999@sprintpcs.com, for At&t / Cingular WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM ,for Alltel 9178889999@alltel.net and so on , further post have config's posted for other providers.
    In line " password = " in case of Verizon put : " vzw " for Cingular : " cingular1 " , for Alltel " alltel "and so on , make sure to check with your provider as username and/or password may differ for other regions and countries .

4.In the line "Phone =" your ISP's data phone number , most of the time it will be #777

5.Now click save and open yet another terminal widow type:
    Code:
    wvdial
    With some systems this window needs to stay open(although can be minimized)during usage of the card.

6.Open browser , in the tab File UNcheck Work Offline and try any site (like google.com for an example) .

For graphical interface setup just go to package manager and check box to install gnome-ppp .

If this howto has worked for your device please post it to this forum so your adapter can be listed as one of compatible devices for others considering a purchase .
    Happy surfing
    .8)

---------------------------------------------Second method useing USBserial driver.------------------------------------------

This section has been created to fix issues created in Gutsy and applies to Gutsy and Hardy and all future releases only
    All upgrades directly from Feisty seem to work fine unless the Evdo card / modem is upgraded then it automatically plugs default Gutsy driver.
    In case this happens or you just installed fresh 7.10 you can execute following fix.

!!! Since Gutsy USB handling has changed !!!
    So absolutely make sure to re enable /proc/bus/usb/devices by executing following :

With your evdo card removed type following in the terminal :

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
    Now remove " # " symbols from the front of following lines of code :
    Code:
            #mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    	#domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    	#ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    	#mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb
    Now to stop new Airprime driver from loading execute following in the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Now insert following at the bottom :
    Code:
    #Block Airprime driver to force kernel to use usbserial
    blacklist airprime
    Now you will need to reboot .

Upon successful completion of previous 5 steps you shoud have all neccesary directories created as well be able to obtain correct tty??? identifier for your device.

Again!Above section section is a recent addition to fix problems with gutsy and hardy, if you are running feisty, start from here.
    From here you should be able to continue with this how to as above fix will enable single device identifier which can be used for setup with wvdial , KPPP dialer or Gnome PPP .
    If you find more streamlined way to do it or other posts that may help us feel free to let us know by posting it in this thread .

I always suggest to back up any files you will be editing in case you will need to retrace your steps .
    Devices i have used are Verizozn Motorola v3 EVDO enabled phone connected via USB cable as well as number of other EVDO cards like PC5750 .

Make sure your device is activated by service provider and if possible test on other OS to witch you may have software and drivers.

Open terminal window and type:
    Code:
     sudo -i
    enter your password.
    Now all commands typed in this window will be executed with root privileges .
    In terminal type:
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install wvdial
    Before you insert the Card or connect USB cable (for Build-In minicards see bottom of this post) open terminal window and type :
    Code:
     cat /proc/bus/usb/devices > devices
    Insert your data card or plug in USB cable and wait for a few seconds before continuing.
    In terminal type:
    Code:
    dmesg
    You will get output with some device info like this :
    Code:
    [17186692.460000] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
    [17186692.460000] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    [17186708.176000] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 4
    [17186714.588000] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address
    At the end of this output you will find your device witch will be represented like this: ttyACM0 or ttyUSB or similar , make note of it you will need it later.
    Now type in terminal:
    Code:
       diff /proc/bus/usb/devices devices | grep Vendor
    Output will be similar to:
    Code:
     < P: Vendor=1234 ProdID=5678 Rev= 0.00
    Make note of lines: Vendor=1234 , ProdID=5678

Now in teminal type following code Replacing values 1234 and 5678 with your own output from previously noted lines ::
    Code:
      modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1234 product=0x5678
    Now you will edit wvdial config file by first typing in terminal :
    Code:
      sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
    In new opened window replace all text with following :
    Code:
    [Dialer Defaults] 
    Stupid Mode = on 
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0 
    Baud = 921600 
    Init = ATZ 
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 
    Phone = #777 
    Username = ??????????@vzw3g.com
    Password = vzw 
    Init1 = ATZ 
    ISDN = 0 
    Modem Type = Analog Modem 
    Auto Reconnect = on 
    Carrier Check = no 
    [Dialer shh] 
    Init3 = ATM0 
    [Dialer pulse] 
    Dial Command = ATDP
    In the line "Modem =" replace ttyACM0 with value you noted from output of " dmesg " command.
    In the line " Username = " put your phone number followed by your providers domain , for Verizon it is area code , your phone number and domain ,
    in this format: 9178889999@vzw3g.com
    for sprint it will be 9178889999@sprintpcs.com , for At&t / Cingular WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM ,for Alltel 9178889999@alltel.net and so on , further post have config's posted for other providers.
    In line " password = " in case of Verizon put : " vzw " for Cingular : " cingular1 " and so on , make sure to check with your provider as username and/or password may differ for other regions and countries .

If you are Cingular/AT&T subscriber and after completing whole guide you have problem with dropping connection you have to add another int line in wvdial script which is posted here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343989&page=3
    If you need any specific info regarding your domain or password please contact your cellular provider.
    The last thing you need to configure is wvdial line checking , by disabling LCP echo checking witch is not supported by most of providers.
    Open terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial
    And insert aditionally those lines:
    Code:
    lcp-echo-failure 0
    lcp-echo-interval 0
    Make sure your ethernet jack is unplugged and wifi radio switch is turned off.
    Now you can start connection by typing in terminal :
    Code:
    wvdial
    In case the kernel does not support one of your new devices (like Moto Q) you will need to to patch the kernel in order to recognize the new hardware.
    This post will guide you through additional steps you'll need to take.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...82&postcount=1
    Additonal read on paching kernel modules:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelGitGuide
    http://glasnost.beeznest.org/articles/340

If you are having problems installing using this method or if you have Built-In WAN Card see this post:
    http://www.savvyadmin.com/2007/06/03...ell-5700-evdo/

Another thing i have been suggested is automating the connection process.
    To do so in Gnome go to :
    Code:
    System > Preferences > Sessions
     next, click on the tab labeled, "Startup Programs"
     then click the "Add" button. 
    In the Startup Command field, enter "wvdial" and then click "OK". 
    Then restart your system.
    Now make sure your EVDO card is inserted before you boot it up , it will initiate the connection process automatically in the background connecting you to internet the second you log in.

Third for Verizon USB760 users

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules
    find the line that contains Novatel_Mass_Storage and append the following to it:
    Code:
    RUN+="/usr/bin/eject %k"
    save and close
    Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-modem.fdi
    Add this in the USB devices section
    Code:
    <!-- Verizon USB760-->
    <match key="@info.parent:usb.vendor_id" int="0x1410">
    <match key="@info.parent:usb.product_id" int="0x6000">
    <match key="@info.parent:usb.interface.number" int="0">
    <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">modem</append>
    <append key="modem.command_sets" type="strlist">IS-707-A</append>
    </match>
    </match>
    </match>
    Save and close

Now plug in your card and make sure it didn't mount anything (Places -> Computer USB Drive shouldn't be mounted)
    Now left click the network applet and select 'Auto mobile broadband (CDMA) connection'
    Let it connect.
    If it doesn't make sure to go into VZAccessManager on a Windows machine and activate your USB 760.

I like to thanks to all those that have helped me through forums,web pages and personal support to create this how to .

Additional reads on the subject:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-366229.html
    http://kenkinder.com/evdo-pc5740/
    http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/EV-DO

If this howto has worked for your device please post it to this forum so your adapter can be listed as one of compatible devices for others considering a purchase .
    Additionally please let me know about any fixes that would streamline this process.
    Happy surfing
    .8)
    Last edited by Mach1US; February 22nd, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
    Dell power edge 710 64bit - Dual 6 Core Xeons -64Gig ram:64bit-10.04-LTSLatitude E6400, Intel chipset, intel integrated graphics , Iw-3945ABG-Pro-miniPCI , UM150 EVDO , Orinoco-Gold-Pcmci , 14.1-WXGA+ ,10.04-64bit.Gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA)

hi, i used this guide just then
    initially everything worked except actually having firefox go to a page
    but then i disabled the ethernet and that seemed to fix it
    so yeah, no real problems, thanks for this.
    (using telstra bigpond evdo to write this in ubuntu now )

is there some way that i can get it to connect without having to start the connection from the terminal? like have it in the backround? (its not a timed connection for me)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by autoexec View Post
    hi, i used this guide just then
    initially everything worked except actually having firefox go to a page
    but then i disabled the ethernet and that seemed to fix it
    so yeah, no real problems, thanks for this.
    (using telstra bigpond evdo to write this in ubuntu now )

is there some way that i can get it to connect without having to start the connection from the terminal? like have it in the backround? (its not a timed connection for me)
    Yes you can run it in the background by having it started automatically at the login.
    To do so in Gnome go to System > Preferences > Sessions next, click on the tab labeled, "Startup Programs" and then click the "Add" button. In the Startup Command field, enter "wvdial" and then click "OK" and restart.
    Now make sure your EVDO card is inserted before you boot it up , it will initiate the connection process automatically in the background connecting you to internet the second you log in.
    I will be adding this to this HowTo
    Have fun.
    Last edited by Mach1US; January 24th, 2007 at 03:19 AM.
    Dell power edge 710 64bit - Dual 6 Core Xeons -64Gig ram:64bit-10.04-LTSLatitude E6400, Intel chipset, intel integrated graphics , Iw-3945ABG-Pro-miniPCI , UM150 EVDO , Orinoco-Gold-Pcmci , 14.1-WXGA+ ,10.04-64bit.Gnome

Beans

A great big thank you!!! This tutor got me up and running whereas I had tried some other tutors that left me stratching my head. This should be a sticky for sprint users of the evdo s620 card.

Beans

Hi, I am able to get as far as able to talk to the modem using the terminal or gtkterm. (i.e. send AT commands). However when I send ATDT commands I'm getting no carrier returned.

The card was activiated and used in Windows prior.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i have never used any other connection managers simply because wvdial is really easy to operate and just works.
    Try Dmesg command to get exact info on serial connection setting of your device , which can change by one digit simply by quick removal and insertion .
    Finally try to set it up using this how to and just compare /etc/***.conf files on both applications, this way you should easily identify what exactly causing the problem .
    Last edited by Mach1US; April 16th, 2007 at 03:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'd just like to say that I used the steps posted and they worked for me. I'm using a Pantech PX500 with Sprint, on a Toshiba A45-S150 with Feisty.

The speeds I'm getting aren't blazing (430kbps down, 230kbps up) but they're not bad. I've heard that there is some fine tuning you can do to improve this. Something about patches and buffers, I'm not sure. If anyone knows of this let me know too please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 15.10 Wily Werewolf

There's a great guide on the Sprint site that is actually based on Ubuntu.

http://www4.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/s...alId=downloads

Select Linux and get the PDF file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wink Re: HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA)

Quote Originally Posted by rickdog View Post
    I'd just like to say that I used the steps posted and they worked for me. I'm using a Pantech PX500 with Sprint, on a Toshiba A45-S150 with Feisty.

The speeds I'm getting aren't blazing (430kbps down, 230kbps up) but they're not bad. I've heard that there is some fine tuning you can do to improve this. Something about patches and buffers, I'm not sure. If anyone knows of this let me know too please.
    I'm in process of testing TCP/IP tweaks but before i have started i was getting up to 1.2Mbps download speeds with Pantech Verizon card PC5750 and this HOW-TO.
    The post above is great addition for GUI people new to linux or little shy of using shell , personally i prefer wvdial but regardless of your choice it only dials in to to ISP and makes sure the circuit stays up while actually what you do from there as well how you configure your system and browser determines your overall speed .
    Try Swiftfox and take look at :

WWW.SPEEDGUIDE.NET

Look under Broadband > Registry Tweaks > Linux , you'll find lot of easy to follow guides on Tweaking for linux and lots of other good reads .
    Last edited by Mach1US; May 15th, 2007 at 01:08 PM.

Beans

Thanks a ton! Your howto worked great.

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast