Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FoF rf-mod 4.0 released!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

FoF rf-mod 4.0 released!!

Well, sort of. The windows version is complete, the linux version still needs to be compiled.

http://www.fretsonfire.net/cgi-bin/i...T;f=11;t=11473

can anyone help rogue-f, and the rest of the FoF linux junkies out?

Beans

Re: FoF rf-mod 4.0 released!!

Quote Originally Posted by Naegling23 View Post
    Well, sort of. The windows version is complete, the linux version still needs to be compiled.

http://www.fretsonfire.net/cgi-bin/i...T;f=11;t=11473

can anyone help rogue-f, and the rest of the FoF linux junkies out?
    Holy crap I didn't even notice! I'll take a look at it this evening and see if I can compile it from syberdave's pyaminith source, etc. If not I'll just bother him

Wow I can't waaaiiiit

Beans

Ugh. This is the very worst program to try to compile, ever.

So far I've got Amanith and PyAminith compiled, and the program finally builds. However, I'm getting this error:

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/opt/cx-freeze/initscripts/Console.py", line 27, in <module>
        exec code in m.__dict__
      File "src/FretsOnFire.py", line 36, in <module>
      File "src/GameEngine.py", line 24, in <module>
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/OpenGL/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
        __set_attributes()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/OpenGL/__init__.py", line 14, in __set_attributes
        __version__ = string.strip(open(filename).read())
    IOError: [Errno 20] Not a directory: '/home/buttons/Desktop/rfmod/dist/FretsOnFire.bin/OpenGL/version'
    Seems simple, but I've been so irritated with this program I'm going to quit for now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

not sure if any of this will help

http://www.fretsonfire.net/cgi-bin/i...ST;f=11;t=4896

its for windows, but it might give you an idea, it also mentions an open-gl bug/problem.

by the way, how did you get amanith, pyamanith, and cx_freeze installed and running? I cant get any of them to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Naegling23 View Post
    not sure if any of this will help

http://www.fretsonfire.net/cgi-bin/i...ST;f=11;t=4896

its for windows, but it might give you an idea, it also mentions an open-gl bug/problem.

by the way, how did you get amanith, pyamanith, and cx_freeze installed and running? I cant get any of them to work.
    Thanks! I'll take a look.

I'm on Arch atm, and cx_freeze is in our repos. Keep in mind that you only have to install it, and then edit the amanith makefile to point to "FreezePython". Otherwise it gets confused.

I got amanith and pyamanith to compile by taking a look at the gentoo ebuilds and using their patches. Kinda. Here's the breakdown:

Their fretsonfire ebuild is here. Note they have a pyxml patch for distros with pyxml 0.8.4, which includes Arch.

An amanith ebuild is located here, with patch in the files dir. Actually I kinda wish I'd seen that one first, as the ebuild I found on google didn't have the GCC 4.1 patch, which I found on the amanith forums. It also tries to use QT4. For the record, I compiled it with QT3 and it compiled fine. Not that rfmod 4 works yet, but I don't think that's related from the stack trace there.

And the PyAmanith ebuild is here, along with the compile patch in the files dir as always. The ebuild has some funny comments, too. Alas, the frets dev hosting the pyamanith source has since taken down his site (or it was forced down, I forget the story). The unmodified source for pyamanith is currently available from syberdave's site, here.

Again, these ebuilds basically point to download locations and any tricks to getting compile to work. They have a pretty simple syntax, things like ${PV} is the package version, etc.

And after all that I have an opengl bug. Sigh.

EDIT: How quickly we forget the stupid things. Amanith "working" is a total misnomer. It has no make install that does anything useful. There's no set place to put the include files it's got (so pyamanith can find them), so I had to copy them over to the pyamanith build dir manually. In fact, I had to do the same with the pyamanith source they've got squirreled away in some "changes" directory. Basically, you try to build pyamanith once (after patching), watch the errors to see where it's looking for the source, and cp -r everything in the amanith include dir and everything in the pyamanith /changes and it should build. Amanith also has nowhere to put its libs once compiled. It just puts them in its "lib" dir. Since the fretsonfire makefile expects them in /usr/local/lib, I just put all the new libamanith stuff (including symlinks) in there. And the devs wonder why like two distros ship amanith natively. /RANT
    Last edited by buttons; September 11th, 2007 at 05:58 PM.

Beans

VICTORY! Thanks for that link! There were other problems, but that got me into the game at least, and the rest were pretty easy.

It runs! There are flames and all sorts of goodies!

It's slow as %)(#*$!

Rig:
    AMD x2 2.6 Ghz
    Geforce 7800GT

Compared to RF-mod 3.5, this RF-mod 4.0 runs like poop. Okay, not complete poop, but the best and most playable (I like silky smooth) framerate has been 640x480 with Noob mods (COME WITH RFMOD! YAY!) and no flames or note sfx. Pretty boring, but it works.

Turning up the detail, though, WOW. This version is pretty. The flames especially are amazing.

I just need to package this and it's yours.

Beans

Here you go: Links below

This is a fully playable release! Just extract the archive and run FretsOnFire. If you put this in your old fretsonfire mod directory it will blink at you innocently.

Tips:
    • rm -rf ~/.fretsonfire or move it if you want it for posterity
    • Move your songs dir to yourinstallpath/data/
    • If you want black HOPO notes and/or the mythical orangey fret of doom, you need only go to Game Settings->Mods and select these to On.

You MUST have your songs dir in /data (symlinked is OK) or it'll just sit there until you kill it from another virtual terminal.

If something breaks post here and I'll cry. And maybe help you.
    Last edited by buttons; September 12th, 2007 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Change link to post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

cool, thanks for the link...well, when you get it posted anyway.

the looks is why I was trying to get this working so badly. I started playing the game when it was 1.2 something, then I started using rf-mod, rf-mod had some nice effects, but they were different than the 1.2 stuff, all in all they were about equal, but now with rf-4, we can have the best of both worlds, plus some other mods (like flamed notes) that were windows only mods (for me anyway...since I cant get it to compile).

thanks for your help, the FoF community thanks you.

you might also want to send this to rogue_F on the fretsonfire.net forums, I know he was looking for someone the compile the linux version.

Beans

Unfortunately I just tried to run it in my ubuntu install and it fails, apparently because feisty's openssl is an older version. EDIT: I'm very frustrated now

Download link back up. Can someone test with gutsy? Until I figure out how to compile this with an earlier openssl, I think gutsy is the only platform it'll work on.
    Last edited by buttons; September 11th, 2007 at 09:00 PM.

Beans

Whoop! All done!

Note - i686 only for the moment. This is a 64-bit box, but I don't have any 64-bit linux installations currently. So...someone else do it.

Download - Feisty

Download - Gutsy

See above for notes about this release. Specifically the part about adding a songs folder and deleting your current ~/.fretsonfire directory. You've been warned!

Have fun!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast