Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: copyright "treaty"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

copyright "treaty"

I think this is just sad.
    The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.
    Linux user #388032
    My Site; forum, blogs, wiki, news...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: copyright "treaty"

Um i didn't understand much, im knackered but i don't think i would have normally understood it anyway. I figure it's ms trying to push thier software digital copy protection through every avalible chanel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I love my country, but I am often saddened by what my government chooses to do around the world.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

So now it's illegal to play DVDs on linux in a few more countries.

Yet another example of USA forcing other countries to bend over and adapt internal matters to what USA wants. The rest of the world should be allowed to vote in american presedential elections since the american government often treats other nations as 'inofficial states' or colonies.

Beans

I'm not justifying it, but we are an information economy here in the states.

If no one will pay for our IP in the future, we might not have much (most manufacturing is long gone).
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Knome_fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    I'm not justifying it, but we are an information economy here in the states.

If no one will pay for our IP in the future, we might not have much (most manufacturing is long gone).
    But you are justifying it.

Further I think it's really debatable if provisions like the ones put out in this treaty are really benefitial for an information economy, as too far reaching IP laws can certainly lead to information being unavailable or to expensive, which of course would contradict the original purpose of IP laws.

Personally I don't have a problem with the US trying to act in self interest, that's normal and understandable, I just get the feeling that the US in this case is acting to enforce some very special interest. And there is of course always the problem that things like this will lead people outside the US to perceive the US as some kind of bully that is forcing weaker nations to do things that clearly are against the selfinterest of those nations.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kvark
    Yet another example of USA forcing other countries to bend over and adapt internal matters to what USA wants. The rest of the world should be allowed to vote in american presedential elections since the american government often treats other nations as 'inofficial states' or colonies.
    I live in the Dominican Republic, one of the affected countries. I'm really sad this is happening, specially here, a country that has always had a thick north-american brick wall when it comes to trying to develop. Like you all could imagine, people here aren't even aware of how bad the Free Trade agreement will be for the country and its own native companies and laws. Not once have I ever read nor heard someone discussing the issues and worries written on that article. What's worst is that the current president is one that -technological neophyte- people think is like a technology shaman who promised to bring several software companies from Europe and all over the world. Those patents and protections just make me want to educationally prepare myself better with the thought of being able to part should the dominican puppet governement and the real government (U.S.) get to pushy from a technological stand point . That is just sad.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Knome_fan
    And there is of course always the problem that things like this will lead people outside the US to perceive the US as some kind of bully that is forcing weaker nations to do things that clearly are against the selfinterest of those nations.
    FYI, outside of the US, we have been thinking this way for generations. It goes back even years before president Roosevelt's "America for the Americans" speech.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kvark
    So now it's illegal to play DVDs on linux in a few more countries.
    oh, it's illegal in the US?

i didn't know...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Knome_fan
    But you are justifying it.
    I always thought justifying is more when you make excuses and try to contest the moral depravity of actions.

I make no ammends that so many patents are crap... And the system is crap. I wouldn't blame nations for ignoring this.

Its happening, I explained the why. Because of my position I'm not qualified to assess it any more than that.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast