Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Using Google Calendar, Thunderbird and Lighting to full effect

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile Re: Using Google Calendar, Thunderbird and Lighting to full effect

I agree that it was frustrating beyond printable text in this forum. I did finally get the evolution.gcaldaemon equation solved and now I can happily sync, home desktop, personal laptop and... my Black Jack2 thanks to a couple of other threads. Isn't google great!!!! I will try to compose all of my trials errors and solutions back here as soon as I can. Any questions before I can get it posted feel free to PM me.
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, pray for all of our troops!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Using Google Calendar, Thunderbird and Lighting to full effect

I am running intrepid with Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 Lightning 0.9 and Provider for Google 0.5.1.

I am trying to setup up my remote calendar and get the following error.

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [calICalendar.uri]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///home/tmeier/.mozilla-thunderbird/ha5r8yri.default/extensions/%7Be2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103%7D/components/calItemModule.js -> file:///home/tmeier/.mozilla-thunderbird/ha5r8yri.default/extensions/%7Be2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103%7D/js/calCalendarManager.js :: cmgr_createCalendar :: line 536" data: no]

I have uninstalled Lightning and provider and then redownloaded and installed and still have the issue. Any ideas. Thanks.

Thomas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I tried everything with Thunderbird and would get errors about writing back to google and the grey outs, could not take the abuse anymore>>>> I went back to Evolution and the Gcaldaemon and walked it through very carefully and it works great. You need to besure that you perform each step carefully and do not add any extra characters by mistake. If you do it will just sit there and not update.
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, pray for all of our troops!

Beans

I have been using Thunderbird and Lightning happily for some time. I recently purchased a new cell phone - motorola moto Z9. Not a PDA, but has contacts & calendar etc. I have been searching and trying different things - including upgrading to Ibex, to find a way to synchronize Sunbird/Lightning with my phone. After I get that going I will look to get Thunderbird Address book synched too.

My attempts thus far center around opensync/multisync/synche with the various Sunbird and Moto plugins, but to no avail.

If someone has posted a working solution to this that I have missed in my searches, I apologize.

Thanks!

Beans

Update:
    I have now shifted to trying gammu/wammu for syncing and also moto4linux/p2k. The interface freezes up when trying to ID the phone, after it has sent the first AT commands. I believe the phone is not responding. More searching and testing to do...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Brigrat View Post
    I tried everything with Thunderbird and would get errors about writing back to google and the grey outs, could not take the abuse anymore>>>> I went back to Evolution and the Gcaldaemon and walked it through very carefully and it works great. You need to besure that you perform each step carefully and do not add any extra characters by mistake. If you do it will just sit there and not update.

I have been trying to get GCALDaemon to work with Thuderbird, I followed these instructions http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/usage.html#offline which are for Sunbird. It partially works, i.e. I get my google calendar to sync once, it imports all the events with locations, descriptions, alarms ...etc. But when I put new event from my laptop, it doesn't show on the google site and vice versa. If I restart it, it brings it up updated on both but then it also turns on 50 alarm beeps for each event that has already passed. Also, should I go through trouble of restarting it everytime, it is not worth it.
    I enable visualization for syncying, I can watch "sync" but info doesn't get updated.

My google calendar syncs fine, the reason I want to use GCALDaemon is that I need to view the calendar when I am offline and be able to modify it.
    Anybody has gotten GCALDaemon to work with Thunderbird 2.0???

Thanks in advance,
    Marek
    Last edited by vlke; July 17th, 2009 at 12:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This helped a ton! Thanks!
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    This helped a ton! Thanks!
    You mean you got it Thunderbird to work with GCAL ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Guys,

Any progress made on this intergration/sync ??
    |Kubuntu|Arch|Chakra|openSUSE|

Beans

Exclamation Google calendar major security issue

Connecting google calendar to Thunderbird-lighting is amazingly easy and I have to say working brilliantly in a single user, but when used with in a enterprise environment where multiple users are actively syncing multiple calendars then serious security issues arise and one starts to ask himself :

Why do I have to make public my gmail account to those who i invite to share my calendars ? wouldn't it be better to offer an option to create a password for each calendar so that when sharing calendars one can keep his gmail account save from nosy/malicious users?

If someone knows of a workaround to solve this problem/bug reply to this post.
    If anyone else have found any other limited functions also add your comments to this post as its a shame this security risk/bug is making gmail calendar still a personal use rather than an enterprise option for small businesses.

Paul

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast