View Poll Results: What is the best desktop in your opinion?

Voters
315. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gnome

182 57.78%
  • KDE

86 27.30%
  • Xfce

47 14.92%
Page 111 of 231 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2301

Thread: Desktop Environment / Window Manager Preference/Comparison Thread

Beans

Re: kubuntu vs ubuntu

Kubuntu for me I love GNOME's simple and clean looks, but KDE just gels with me in every possible way, right down to "behind the scenes" stuff like the language it's written in, the organisation and power of the libraries, and the (lack of!) politics in the KDE community to the functionality of the desktop itself.

I've never really understood the "clutter" argument - the desktop itself can be made as uncluttered as you like, so I always assumed people meant the KDE apps themselves. But then, people always seem happy to use these apps, so I'm

I can see why a newcomer would take one look at KControl and turn tail and run, though

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod View Post
    Kubuntu for me I love GNOME's simple and clean looks, but KDE just gels with me in every possible way, right down to "behind the scenes" stuff like the language it's written in, the organisation and power of the libraries, and the (lack of!) politics in the KDE community to the functionality of the desktop itself.

I've never really understood the "clutter" argument - the desktop itself can be made as uncluttered as you like, so I always assumed people meant the KDE apps themselves. But then, people always seem happy to use these apps, so I'm

I can see why a newcomer would take one look at KControl and turn tail and run, though
    I'm not sure if you're referring to my comment that it felt cluttered.

I'm not complaining that KDE's desktop is cluttered. It just "feels cluttered". It's just the feeling I get in KDE. I'm not even sure that that is the problem I have with it. I don't have a problem with KDE really. I just feel more comfortable with Gnome.

That said, using Kontact regularly, the help documentation stinks. It all seems to be linked to the KDE project. Often I'll click on a help link and find nothing there.

I've often considered using KDE by default (as it's already installed and I really don't have to do anything other than select it) but every time I go into KDE I just feel uncomfortable compared to Gnome. Not nearly as uncomfortable as I feel in Windows. I just prefer Gnome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mdsmedia View Post
    I'm not sure if you're referring to my comment that it felt cluttered.
    No, no - I've heard it from a great many people on these forums (and elsewhere) and have always been confused by it. Thanks for your explanation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This is just another gnome versus KDE thread, and I'm so tired seeing these.

Take a look at aysiu's site here. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome
    Other than the differences aysiu lists there, it's just preference.

Why not try discussing the differences in support for something different?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

sorry, double post
    Last edited by Mihkal; November 10th, 2006 at 12:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mihkal View Post
    This is just another gnome versus KDE thread, and I'm so tired seeing these.

Take a look at aysiu's site here. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome
    Other than the differences aysiu lists there, it's just preference.

Why not try discussing the differences in support for something different?
    The OP asked the question and so far it's been answered in a civilized manner. He made it clear this wasn't asked to start a war and it hasn't started a war. YES, it's just preference, and that's exactly what's been expressed.

Beans

Everyone has their preference and I can understand why many new linux users prefer Ubuntu. The default setup looks much more pleasing and can be changed with minimal effort, but not as configurable as Kubuntu. You cannot easily change gnome color scheme and keep the same theme. KDE, on the other hand, gives you much more options to tweak the look and feel if you know where to look.

I used Ubuntu for the last two months but have to switched back to Kubuntu because I don't like the way KDE applications work under Gnome. I have to have my KDE applications (Amarok, K3B, etc,..) and they have to work the way they work under KDE.

One thing about KDE-based distro that I dislike is that they all have horrible default look, Kubuntu Edgy included. I know that look can be changed, but if they want to attract linux noobs to KDE-based distro, these people need to make the default look much more pleasing than it is now. After all, first impression is important. Call me shallow, but I don't think any guy would want to start a conversation with an ugly girl he doesn't know
    Last edited by oobuntoo; November 10th, 2006 at 12:20 PM.

Italy - between Alps and Mediterranean Sea
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I use Kubuntu, I feel more at home in KDE (using it since version 2). I love the simplicity of Gnome, but I feel I work faster and with more ease in KDE.
    I'm really waiting to see KDE 4

Beans

As I prefer KDE more (because of all the options you have to customize it and especially the way better shortcut support) I am a Kubuntu user since Breezy.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Poll: Gnome vs KDE

Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Page 111 of 231 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast