Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gentoo vs. Sabayon

Beans

Re: Gentoo vs. Sabayon

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    Gentoo what can I say, its better then it was... no more two day installations, thank goodness for live CD's!
    My undetanding is that the live CD installs precompiled binaries and does not compile from source. Is my understanding correct ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    My undetanding is that the live CD installs precompiled binaries and does not compile from source. Is my understanding correct ?
    Yes, it does by default, which is pretty nice.
    Linux User #343227 | Ubuntu User #13191 | Website | Launchpad Profile | Twitter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I think they are precompiled yes. That is why I did the stage3 tarball installation via a chroot from ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Uhm.... how does that translate into english?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chymera View Post
    Uhm.... how does that translate into english?
    Uhm, what part don't you understand ?

Originally Posted by mips
    The stuff on the LiveCD has been compiled and the reulting binary files were put on the CD as opposed to the Source being put on the livecd and compiled on your local machine when booted up. (Not that I can see it all fitting on the cd though)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Here's my 2 cents: I personnaly try to get the best of two worlds: for pre-compiled packages, I use Ubuntu which is just awsome IMHO. I am using Gentoo to try something else, completly different than Ubuntu and I quite love it! I have read about Sabayon, almost downloaded the DVD, but each time I retract for if I need a system up'n running in no time, I know Ubuntu does the job flawlessly.

To me, Sabayon looks like building a system from source using apt-get build-dep and apt-get source ... I'm pretty sure Sabayon guys (and gals) are doing a superb job, but it just not fit my needs.
    Last edited by Foxmike; September 1st, 2007 at 03:56 AM. Reason: typos...

Beans

Here is what I think...

There is no basis for comparing these two distros. They aim at different group of users and point of Sabayon is to make make Gentoo easier. As main point of Gentoo is customization, Sabayon gives you no customization at all. So, I use Gentoo because I am one of those 'die hard' users but I think Sabayon is the one who should compete with Ubuntu and SUSE and other gay distros. (No flame, just kiddin). Also, enthropy may become quite nice Pack Man when it is get done and it would be nice to have in Gentoo when you have no time to compile stuff.

Happy h4x0ring...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmike View Post
    Here's my 2 cents: I personnaly try to get the best of two worlds: for pre-compiled packages, I use Ubuntu which is just awsome IMHO. I am using Gentoo to try something else, completly different than Ubuntu and I quite love it!

I agree totally.
    Ubuntu rocks, and Sabayon is almost equally wondrous.
    I run both.

Of course "real" debian and "real" gentoo can deliver more power. But why the hassle?
    Of course you have more power at your fingertips when you leave a GUI environment.
    So what?
    The point with both Ubuntu and Sabayon is that you have MORE power and choices (not less).

If you want *that* barebone real power, you can immediately have it, of course, *behind* both Ubuntu and Sabayon GUI environments.

Please don't be silly: behind Ubuntu is a full-fledged debian and behind Sabayon is a full-fledged gentoo.
    'Ts not a reduction of GNU-inux, in both cases is an EXPANSION.

Hence there's no need to choose a poorer barebone version when you can have it toghether with both power AND whistles AND frills

Just my 000.2 eurocents. I might be wrong. Yet don't touch my Ubuntu and my Sabayon.
    Retire, miscreants, to your muddy billabongs and forget even passive attempts to educate windozian zombies: how can those of easy virtue, who simply stroll into a store and "buy" programs off the rack, compare to us?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Cannaregio View Post
    I agree totally.
    Ubuntu rocks, and Sabayon is almost equally wondrous.
    I run both.

Of course "real" debian and "real" gentoo can deliver more power. But why the hassle?
    Of course you have more power at your fingertips when you leave a GUI environment.
    So what?
    The point with both Ubuntu and Sabayon is that you have MORE power and choices (not less).

If you want *that* barebone real power, you can immediately have it, of course, *behind* both Ubuntu and Sabayon GUI environments.

Please don't be silly: behind Ubuntu is a full-fledged debian and behind Sabayon is a full-fledged gentoo.
    'Ts not a reduction of GNU-inux, in both cases is an EXPANSION.

Hence there's no need to choose a poorer barebone version when you can have it toghether with both power AND whistles AND frills

Just my 000.2 eurocents. I might be wrong. Yet don't touch my Ubuntu and my Sabayon.
    Something is really true IMHO, is that more Linux flavours there is, better it is. I have not tried Sabayon yet, but for me Gentoo acomplished it's goal flawlessly, is to bring something I have to build by hands. So to me Sabayon looks too "finished". But at this point is more a personnal opinion than a fact of course!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I had them both of them installed, deleted sabayon and kept gentoo. Sabayon was much slower and a little bit buggy. Though I still keep an eye on its development.
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast