Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good fluxbox based distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What's a good fluxbox based distro?

i would like it to be fairly easy to install and use. something stable with good package management. any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: What's a good fluxbox based distro?

I'm pretty keen on Antix. It's certainly the easiest of the fluxbox-based distros I've installed in that it uses familiar apps and is well supported (through the Mepis forums). the current release is v6.5 "Spartacus" but there is also a beta of v7 out and its quite usable (but also has some bugs to iron out).

I'm currently using Zenwalk with a fluxbox WM (Xfce is the default) and I like it a lot but had a heck of a time actually getting fluxbox to install properly.

I also have fluxbox installed on Ubuntu fiesty and its very cool. If you search the how-tos here you will find some very helpful posts on configuring fluxbox - Bohdi.zazen is like a fluxbox guru.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Why do you need a "Fluxbox-based" distro ? You can install Fluxbox in pretty much any *NIX system under the sun... Pick your favourite one, install Fluxbox on it, you're there
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!

Ahem....may I present my very own March Linux!!
    It offers Fluxbox (a fully set up one and with various tools for further configuration) as default WM.

It is still a BETA version in the sense that not all features are implemented (that will soon be history as more users give in their valuable suggestions).

However, it is fully usable ATM. Being based off Arch Linux, it offers one of the best package managers viz. pacman and the whole cutting-edge official Arch Linux repository is available for use!

P.s
    . It is still a Live only distribution, but installation options will be implemented in near future.
    March Linux : My pet distrolet of Arch Linux using Fluxbox. Please take a look!

Beans
    Distro

ubuntu is my favorite. but going with another distro gives me an excuse to try/learn something new, that's all.

Beans
    Distro

i did actually try it (march linux) yesterday. i believe it is something i will be interested in once there is an installer. keep up the good work.

Beans
    Hidden!

BTW, have you given Fluxbuntu a try yet?
    It looks super kewl!!!
    March Linux : My pet distrolet of Arch Linux using Fluxbox. Please take a look!

Beans
    Distro

i havnt tried it yet, but will do so when the final version comes out.

Beans

I'll pimp my distro here if you don't mind.

antiX as Aubrey mentioned is available as a released version Spartacus based on Ubuntu dapper, but the new one undergoing testing is based on Mepis 7 (debian+Mepis repos). It does have bugs, but it works very well.

I would also recommend wolvix-cub. Just choose the fluxbox option rather than xfce at login.
    Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways - the point is to change it.

antiX "Edelweißpiraten" - lean and mean. http://antix.mepis.com

Beans

Red face Re: What's a good fluxbox based distro?

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    Why do you need a "Fluxbox-based" distro ? You can install Fluxbox in pretty much any *NIX system under the sun... Pick your favourite one, install Fluxbox on it, you're there
    I can understand the guy wanting a nice minimalistic Fluxbox only distro....

A nice simply clean install and efficiently fast system....I prefer a e17 based distro and I have yet to see anyone out do the beauty, speed and reliablity of elive.

The only Fluxbox experience I have had was with Sabayon but I haven't used Sabayon since last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast