Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your Windows woes?

Re: What's your Windows woes?

Quote Originally Posted by nilihanth View Post
    Gaming. That's it. Anything else is unforseen. I am of firm belief that Linux is perfectly suited for games, but greed stops high-budget games to be made for it since the userbase is much smaller than M$ has.

I also believe that if mainstream games would work on Linux just as well as Windows, there would be a TON more conversions to the light side. Most of the gamers I know have said they dont bother with Linux because they can't play their games on it. AND, even though Cedega has done great things, it seems the majority don't want to have to mess with it sadly.
    Unreal Tournament '99 works fine! I believe the later UTs work too, but 99 is the best

Beans

Gaming (Halo Addict) and my wife.... My laptop is linux only and I use it for everthing inclucding my work which requires IBM client access. It all works great!!!

Beans

games and music making

i have Vista Basic and after the rsod i just had to install kubuntu. kubuntu was much more different than ubuntu cause of the different desktops, and whoever is wondering, i am accually in the ninth grade, but i am very experienced with computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I still have one machine with XP on it. I use Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements, and iTunes that is about all. Once in awhile I have to use it for a web site that thinks all computers run winders, they uselly get a nasty letter.

For what ever reason I just can't get my head around Gimp and just started looking at Inkscape. Tried elements under Wine, no go.

My wife is computer challenged and could barely turn on a Windows computer at work and I now have her using Ubuntu on one of my old laptops with no problem. He surfs and does email. Next step for her will be a web cam so she can talk to her grandkids.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/

This is the homepage of the book "Grokking the Gimp" by Carey Bunks. It is available for free download (tarballed HTML) or purchase as hard copy. I haven't delved very deep, but it seems like a good primer at least. I have zero PhotoShop experience, and almost as much natural artistic talent, so YMMV.

So, I am freshly enrolled in junior college (again) for Computer Information Systems degree, and hopefully, some Computer Sci./Prog. (If I can hang with the smart people). This necessitated Windows (know thine enemy?) so I just finished a 3 day bender dual booting this Dell XPS M1530. Failed miserably at first shot, and had to start from scratch re-installing Vista, Media Direct (gutted XP cum Entertainment center), and finally Intrepid. Lots of tweaking (the lappy, not me), but, I'm extremely chuffed with the results already.

Media Direct is basically like having an embedded DVD/Music Player, with 30 sec. boot times. Vista is there when I need it for specific classes. So far, all of my homework for Computer Ethics, and Office 2007 web courses (noobie 101 classes this semester so I can get to the good stuff) I've done on Open Office and Firefox, and my Algebra text companion CD runs flawlessly in Wine.

Viva la Revolucion! LOL
    -Aaron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12