View Poll Results: What's your preferred communication for the LoCo?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • The UbuntuForums.org LoCo Forum Channel

12 48.00%
  • The Mailing List for the MissouriTeam

10 40.00%
  • The IRC channel on Freenode.net

8 32.00%
  • Instant Messengers and group chats

7 28.00%
  • Face to Face meetings

5 20.00%
  • Custom portal on a dedicated server

4 16.00%
  • Other (please post in a response)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What's your preferred communication for the LoCo?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What's your preferred communication for the LoCo?

I'm curious on this one. I've spoken with quite a few the team members to see what type of communication they like best. So I'm going to drop a poll here and link to it from all the forms of communication we have so far. I'd like to see what you think and what direction our group communication should go.

I've made this poll multiple choice. However, please stick with just your top two preferred methods if you need to pick more than one.
    Last edited by Spr0k3t; August 29th, 2007 at 08:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: What's your preferred communication for the LoCo?

by a custom portal, what exactly do you mean? As in a portal website with ubuntumo.org domain name or something?

If so, I'm voting for that, because on a lot of portals, the current group news is on the main page, and it could also host some other unique features, along with portal info, that way our sections (like the wiki, the progress, and a lot of other pages) wouldnt be all scattered around the ubuntu site, and we wouldn't need individual bookmarks to access each one of them.

Edit: it would also be good, since on a lot of portals, the front page news can be subscribed to in RSS, that way you could just make a firefox RSS bookmark
    Last edited by speedingbullet; August 30th, 2007 at 05:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro

You hit the nail on the head there. The portal would be inclusive of almost everything we currently use... but I'm trying to figure out how to use a common gateway to tie the structure of the ubuntu forums in with the portal. Another feature is the portal would include a planet type blog to allow everyone to take part and see what projects people might be working on. The planet could extend personal blogs as well so the central posting can be found as personal events in the portal.

Lots of ideas floating, just need to solidify some of it to paper.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Have you tried Mkportal? It has blogs, chat, and other features built in to it. As for other software, e107 is good too, I like it because its not really complicated like website baker, joomla!, and drupal. I'm actually using it on one of my sites (which is still a work in progress and has nothing to do with ubuntu in any way) http://pissedbuddha.phpnet.us
    Last edited by speedingbullet; August 30th, 2007 at 09:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

One of our "I haven't decided to become a member yet" members is a Joomla developer. That's one of the things we are looking at.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Spr0k3t View Post
    One of our "I haven't decided to become a member yet" members is a Joomla developer. That's one of the things we are looking at.
    I've done some Xoops module development before. I haven't messed with Joomla much, but I could probably help out with that.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I tend to get my head spinning with multiple info resources. Forums could be more of a home base for everything, then maybe send out an announcement with a link to the forum post to the mailing list. I'd think further discussion on the topic would work better that way.

IRC for scheduled meetings and hanging out to chat for sure.