Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a Linux installed and all the hardware working

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Got a Linux installed and all the hardware working

I'm running gutsy since Tribe2
    If you install it, and run the upgrades on a regular basis, when gutsy is out, you'll be up-to-date. Now be aware that they are quite a few bugs (for ex, my main ethernet card is not recognized on boot, I have to bring the card up manually), and I'm running feisty on my main machine.
    It's really up to you, but be prepared for bugs if you choose to install gutsy.

For partitioning, I usually leave /boot and /usr in /, with a separate /home and /swap. Once a gain, it's up to you. My / is 10Go on the gutsy laptop and 6Go on the feisty one (both lower specs hardware, 40Go and 10Go HD respectively). 40Go for the system is way more than needed
    I'd leave /home on your main drive (say 10Go for /, 1Go max for /swap and the rest for /home) and use the 500Go for storage (music, films and work files for ex).

I read they were problems with certain drives (SATA IIRC, but not sure). Please search the forums with your drive specs, they are fixes and workarounds.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I'm prepared for bugs and unlike Windows I'll actually send (and have sent a bug report off the liveCD, something didn't load, or failed to load), error/bug reports. since Linux is more of a community project then a commerial monopoly.

What is /home used for? I've been using it for all my data documents. /swap I used 2 gigs (double my RAM amount), and I gave /boot a couple hunderd meg, you know what ever was left over after evenly giving 16 to a /home partain, 2 /swap, /10 /, at least in my redhat install which I'll leave on for the time being, you know just incase GG decides to break really badly.

When I'm done I'll have a 500WD, 164Hatachi, 80WD, for storage and a 40WD to boot off of. Plus a CD burner and a DVD-Rom Drive.

Hugs Aishiko
    I have a gibbon on my back, what's on yours?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Aishiko View Post
    What is /home used for? I've been using it for all my data documents.
    The /home/user/ directory is for all your personal files. It also stores settings for your user, like if you're using gnome there will be something like a .gnome (the period before it is important and means it is "hidden" and often people shouldn't mess with it unless they're sure about what they want to change) directory in which all your gnome settings are stored.

/swap I used 2 gigs (double my RAM amount),
    Although traditional wisdom dictates that you should use twice your RAM as swap, that is a bit out of date. I generally use that rule only up to creating 500M of swap, even on server class systems with 4G of RAM. Generally if you actually use more that 500M swap (doubtful if you have 1G RAM) you are probably leaning toward wearing out your hard drive with all the swapping and should just get more RAM.

and I gave /boot a couple hunderd meg, you know what ever was left over after evenly giving 16 to a /home partain, 2 /swap, /10 /, at least in my redhat install which I'll leave on for the time being, you know just incase GG decides to break really badly.
    bapoumba made a partitioning suggestion, at work we use a whole different one, and at home I just use /swap and / partitions. I keep an eye on disk usage in case I ever get close to filling up my drives, so the dreaded "fill up /var and your machine will go crazy" problem isn't one that is a problem for me. I figure being mindful of how much space you have is easier than making a bunch of partitions and then kicking yourself later because you devoted way too much to one or the other (of course you can resize Linux partitions, but that gets tedious when important data is involved).

When I'm done I'll have a 500WD, 164Hatachi, 80WD, for storage and a 40WD to boot off of. Plus a CD burner and a DVD-Rom Drive.
    Sounds like a great setup
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is why I like to have /home on a separate partition. I usually dist-upgrade to the next release during the dev cycle. Then once the version is out, I run a clean install. With a separate /home (I do not format /home during the install) , all my settings are kept, desktop, themes, passwords, etc., all the adjustments I've done are there, no need to do them over again. But that's just me, and one way to go. (of course, I have backup, hmm, mostly up-to-date).

The most important is that you set up your computer the way that is convenient to you
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I've decided to go with the following set up for the boot drive after reading your advice.
    15Gig (15360MB) /
    1gig (1024MB) /swap
    21.5 gig (22583MB which was all that was left minus 1024MB free space just in case I need it for swap) /home
    Now I don't expect to keep much on the /home partation but I suspect that 15gigs is over kill for Ubuntu in the / paration, and I can always shrink the /home if I decide to make anyother partations. I have a stead fast rule I keep no user data or settings in the OS partation, if I can avoid it.

But right now it looks like I'll have to either go with just the CD-Burner or the DVD-drive as I get boot errors on boot up if they are both hooked up, but then I really want to replace the CD-burner with an LG DVD-Burner, I bought one for my mom about I'd say 18-24 months ago and it's been working wonderfully since then few if any issues. Oh and I built her computer, it's a 1Ghz P3, just 128MB short of a gig of PC133 RAM, on a Arock Motherboard, a promise Controller card, and to top off the system a 30gig boot drive (WinXP Pro SP2), and 20gig Data drive. Ohh it also needed a USB expantion card to give her some USB2 ports, but it's been rock solid as a machine.

Oh and I had internet issues crimping a new longer cord bypassing the hub I had been using ended that problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

First Post from Ubuntu!

This is my first post from Ubuntu on my home system not done from the GGibbon LiveCD!

Right now I'm formatting my 500 gig HDD (comes out to a total of 465.76) and adding programs and once it's all set up I'm going to go and check my email which I've neglated for a week or more........

If I'm not back in 3 days send an Apple or Cherry pie in after me!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: First Post from Ubuntu!

Quote Originally Posted by Aishiko View Post
    This is my first post from Ubuntu on my home system not done from the GGibbon LiveCD!
    Congratulations
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: First Post from Ubuntu!

Thank you

Right now I'm working on turning my Laptop into a dual boot (XP incase I ever need it again) and Ubuntu I've got 13 gigs of free space that I can turn into Unpartaioned space and then reformat into ext3. Right now I'm thinking of .5-1gig /swap, 3 gig /, and a 5 to 6 gig /home. I mean the whole drive is only 30gigs.

ohh it's a Gateway Solo4200
    1Ghz PIII
    512 RAM
    30GB toshiba HDD
    8MB video card (yes eight megabytes!)
    no onboard ethernet or modem
    1USB port
    8x CD burner
    and it needs a new keyboard

I think I'll get a new one in time for the spring semester.

I wonder if there are any Quad-core Laptops........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12