Thread: How to: Loom with ScummVM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to: Loom with ScummVM

I don't know if there'll be anyone else out there that would benefit from this, but I spent a few hours banging my head against the wall trying to make this work so I thought I'd write a 'howto'.

So, I have the Loom CD and I wanted to play it again. Here are the steps I needed to get it to work with Ubuntu:
    1. Install ScummVM:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install scummvm
      or of course you can go to System->Administration->Synaptic and install it from there. I think it's in the multiverse repositories, so make sure you have those enabled.
    2. Insert your Loom CD into your drive, and run scummvm.
    3. In ScummVM click on 'Add Game...' and navigate to /cdrom and choose that directory.
    4. Press Start, now if you're lucky the game will start and you'll have sound from the CD and you can play to your heart's content. However if you're unlucky, like me, then you'll need to do a little bit more.
    5. Copy the CD's contents to a directory of your choosing, I used ~/Loom.
    6. Now in that directory, rip the audio tracks from the CD:
      Code:
      cdparanoia -B "2-"
      This will create a file called 'track02.cdda.wav'.
    7. Now convert this to MP3:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install lame
      lame -t -q 9 -b 96 track02.cdda.wav track1.mp3
      It is important that the file is called track1.mp3, so that the game can find it.
    8. Now in ScummVM use 'Add Game...' and choose the directory you copied the files into, i.e. ~/Loom, and press Start. You should now have sound. Enjoy.

There are many other games you can run with ScummVM, see www.scummvm.org for details.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: How to: Loom with ScummVM

Nice Howto

UAResolved
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to: Loom with ScummVM

Thanks, it's my first one. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more in time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Wink Re: How to: Loom with ScummVM

Quote Originally Posted by ibbuntu View Post
    I don't know if there'll be anyone else out there that would benefit from this, but I spent a few hours banging my head against the wall trying to make this work so I thought I'd write a 'howto'.

So, I have the Loom CD and I wanted to play it again. Here are the steps I needed to get it to work with Ubuntu:
    1. Install ScummVM:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install scummvm
      or of course you can go to System->Administration->Synaptic and install it from there. I think it's in the multiverse repositories, so make sure you have those enabled.
    2. Insert your Loom CD into your drive, and run scummvm.
    3. In ScummVM click on 'Add Game...' and navigate to /cdrom and choose that directory.
    4. Press Start, now if you're lucky the game will start and you'll have sound from the CD and you can play to your heart's content. However if you're unlucky, like me, then you'll need to do a little bit more.
    5. Copy the CD's contents to a directory of your choosing, I used ~/Loom.
    6. Now in that directory, rip the audio tracks from the CD:
      Code:
      cdparanoia -B "2-"
      This will create a file called 'track02.cdda.wav'.
    7. Now convert this to MP3:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install lame
      lame -t -q 9 -b 96 track02.cdda.wav track1.mp3
      It is important that the file is called track1.mp3, so that the game can find it.
    8. Now in ScummVM use 'Add Game...' and choose the directory you copied the files into, i.e. ~/Loom, and press Start. You should now have sound. Enjoy.

There are many other games you can run with ScummVM, see www.scummvm.org for details.
    I would recommend converting the audio track to FLAC instead.

sudo apt-get install flac

flac track02.cdda.wav

just rename the resulting file to Track1.flac

Should hopefully do the trick.

FLAC is lossless, so the sound is identical to the original CD, but 1/2 the size (mp3 is lossy, so it would give you maybe 1/12 the size, on the other hand you might as well rip to OGG, scumm handles them all fine...)
    FLAC homepage for those interested
    http://flac.sourceforge.net/

EDIT: Very nice how-to by the way.
    Last edited by BoyOfDestiny; August 29th, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman