Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't you just hate proprietary software?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't you just hate proprietary software?

So I'm trying to install a custom kernel on Ubuntu.on a laptop with an nvidia graphics chipset.

Grab the nvidia drivers from here and follow their instructions "sh nvidia_driver_download.run"

"ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing."

WTF? Why? Why must I exit X? What the hell is that about? Crappy proprietry software. That kind of error belongs in the Windows world.
    Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Beans

Re: Don't you just hate proprietry software?

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg View Post
    So I'm trying to install a custom kernel on Ubuntu.on a laptop with an nvidia graphics chipset.

Grab the nvidia drivers from here and follow their instructions "sh nvidia_driver_download.run"

"ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing."

WTF? Why? Why must I exit X? What the hell is that about? Crappy proprietry software. That kind of error belongs in the Windows world.
    Exit X by pressing "Ctrl Alt Backspace".

You have to exit X for a very logical reason, not anything to do with the quality of software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Exit X by pressing "Ctrl Alt Backspace".

You have to exit X for a very logical reason, not anything to do with the quality of software.
    Won't "Ctrl Alt Backspace" merely restart the X server? I does for me atleast .
    Try the beautiful Enlightenment17 distro OzOS. | Easy way to install Enlightenment17 from CVS.
    Thanks Rui Pai for all you work intergrating this beautiful Desktop Shell with Ubuntu.

Beans

I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you type sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop (if you're using kde) or sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop (if you're using gnome) and that'll stop X ... to restart just type the same thing but instead of stop type start ...

Beans
    Hidden!

Your issue has nothing to do with the title. Its user error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You should use the drivers in the repos. Exiting X is important if you do it manually. Just be grateful the nVidia even provided a video driver at the quality they have too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I agree, the ones in the repos never worked for me, I need one of the legacy drivers and the repos just doesn't work for some reason... NVidia are very good at providing that installer, and at the login screen there should be an option to do a console login, do that and install it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

While it's true that the exiting X server is not that good imho, for graphics drivers to be changed the X server must be restarted anyway, even if they are opensource..The ubuntu devs package it in a deb, which installs the kernel modules, but you still have to restart X to feel the change.

Interestingly, in Windows one didn't have to restart to feel the change, if you ignore the restart prompts, you feel the speed rightaway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    Interestingly, in Windows one didn't have to restart to feel the change, if you ignore the restart prompts, you feel the speed rightaway.
    Your screen goes black for a few seconds during the install. Mine stayed black even after I restarted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by cmat View Post
    Your screen goes black for a few seconds during the install. Mine stayed black even after I restarted.
    Hehe..Yes, but mine didn't.. Not that I am using Windows anymore, but chalk one up to the guy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast