Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Don't you just hate proprietary software?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Don't you just hate proprietry software?

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    None of this helps the OP as he is running a custom kernel, not one from the repos. It would certainly be nice if RDM would compile the module rather than grab one from the repos (or if we used DKMS for these third party modules), but oh well.
    Good point. I didn't think about the custom kernel.

None the less, if you are NVIDIA why do you want to make ease of use features for the type of users that use nvidia's installer? Users who need easy GUI installers should install via the repos anyways. Those who need the installer know their way around and aren't as bothered by the CLI. Since I am going to restart X right afterword to ensure that the install was successful, why would I care if I used an ncurses GUI or an X server during the install.
    Yet another good point. If you are compiling a custom kernel, you're not a novice user who needs mindless setups. If you do need mindless setups, then you shouldn't be messing with compiling custom kernels to begin with; you should just use the built in mindless GUI utilities.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    If you are compiling a custom kernel, you're not a novice user who needs mindless setups. If you do need mindless setups, then you shouldn't be messing with compiling custom kernels to begin with; you should just use the built in mindless GUI utilities.
    Where did I ask for a mindless GUI utility? Please don't put words in my mouth.

I have no object to doing the installation in a terminal.

My sole objection is having to quit my desktop session just for this driver. I should be able to do it from within my X session, then restart my laptop to get into my new environment. The nvidia driver compiles itself, checks for X conflicts, copies itself into one or two locations (kernel module for a kernel which I was not running) and asks to modify xorg.conf (which I decline). Any knowledgeable Unix/Linux user will tell you it has no business demanding I quit X just to perform these tasks. It should work fine within a terminal in X and then I should reboot when I'm ready to get my new kernel / modules.
    Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Beans

You know that the driver doesn't consist of just a kernel module, which is open source by the way, don't you?
    Previously known as 23meg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345