Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't you just hate proprietary software?

Beans

Re: Don't you just hate proprietry software?

No, I don't hate non-Free software. I think that in the long term, open-source will eventually weed most other things out, but that's just because it will get better, faster.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg View Post
    So I'm trying to install a custom kernel on Ubuntu.on a laptop with an nvidia graphics chipset.

Grab the nvidia drivers from here and follow their instructions "sh nvidia_driver_download.run"

"ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing."

WTF? Why? Why must I exit X? What the hell is that about? Crappy proprietry software. That kind of error belongs in the Windows world.
    Get this: you need to exit X before installing a new X driver. How about that!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewie View Post
    actually that isn't true, I need to restart windows to see any change. This is with my Geforce Go 6100 (laptop), and a s3 video card on my desktop.
    Well, with a 6800 card here, I used to notice the CPU tearing up to 100% moving windows on the desktop..after installing the drivers, it went down a lot, and was much smoother..

Beans

OP seems to be confusing compiling a package with running the automatic installer, this installer wants to compile and install.. and for this x needs be preferably stopped or at least restarted afterwards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

In response to the thread's title. I'll say that the reason why I hate propietary software is because it has forced programmers to reinvent the wheel a lot of times; to loose entire projects because the company behind them went down. I't has also locked down other companies and governments into their software . . . That's why. Oviously, having to restart the X server to install a graphics driver isn't an issue to hate propietary software. It's like blaming a tire manufacturer for forcing you to remove the damaged tire before putting in the new one.
    /*Books, ways and days, give men wisdom*/
    My Blog

Ubuntu user number # 9559

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by cybrid View Post
    It's like blaming a tire manufacturer for forcing you to remove the damaged tire before putting in the new one.
    Or blaming him for suggesting that you stop the car before changing tyres?

Beans

I don't know what's happened to the Linux scene. I have NEVER had to stop using my Linux desktop to install a driver before. Even worse, people seem to accept this is ok? Is the Linux desktop going backwards?
    Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I don't know what's happened to the Linux scene. I have NEVER had to stop using my Linux desktop to install a driver before. Even worse, people seem to accept this is ok? Is the Linux desktop going backwards?
    AFAIK, ever since Nvidia released a driver for Linux you needed to shutdown X to install it.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Is it really that much of a bother to save your work, and shut down X for a few minutes? If you want to complain about something, you should complain about a REAL problem; the state of bloat in the linux desktops of today. Ubuntu no longer comfortable with 512MB of RAM, and that is ridiculous.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMay16 View Post
    you should complain about a REAL problem; the state of bloat in the linux desktops of today. Ubuntu no longer comfortable with 512MB of RAM, and that is ridiculous.
    Try Xubuntu, Arch, Zenwalk, or others.

Not all OS's are mean to work on every computer, some require more resources. Actually, Feisty did work for me with less than 512 MB of RAM, but I wasn't trying to do anything memory intensive.

Linux is about choices, you can get a light OS that works with 64 MB of RAM (Zenwalk did), and on that uses 1 GB of RAM (anything with a DE like Beryl, or Compiz).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast