Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: These forums are really slow, even on a broadband connection.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: These forums are really slow, even on a broadband connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star View Post
    8Mbps Awesome man ..
    Good for two things; online gaming and downloading of linux iso's.

Beans

I'm in South Africa with a 384/128Kb/s adsl connection and the forums seem fast enough, no slower than any other sites.

Beans

Hmmmmm this is an interesting observation. It could be the crappy internet speeds in New Zealand. It's so stupid - files only download at 30Kbps because NZ ISPs like to throttle stuff. It sucks having a monopoly in charge.

When I go into a section of these forums, such as the cafe - all threads appear one after the other. Instead of all of them appearing at once. It's very slow Man this sucks.

When I do a test at speedtest.net it says that I have a 200ms latency. The distance is between Christchurch and Auckland, which isn't far (New Zealand is a very small country). Is 200ms of latency normal when testing against a server which is in the same country? You can fly that distance in about an hour, so Auckland (The test servers location) is pretty close to me.

Beans

200ms sounds a bit high. I got 135ms to a local server but I don't really trust the speedtest results.

Do a traceroute to ubuntuforums.org and post the output here.

Another suggestion is try an use other dns servers like OpenDNS instead of those assigned by your ISP.

Did you globally disable IPv6 ?

Beans

Sometimes the server is slow for me in the US as well. I chalk it up to bandwidth and sometimes server loads.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

It could also have something to do with your personal settings. Your browser, firewall(s), and even possible virus/malware infection could really hinder the performance.

The only problems I've ever come across normally break down to a few quick things to look for.
    1) Ads; As mentioned before, when there are alot of them, it takes more time loading.
    2) Browser Settings; Cookies, XML scripts, "helpers", etc are all loaded when you open the browser and some are totally un-needed. Spending a little time stream-lining this area will help.
    3) Tool-Bar add-ons; If there is anything streaming, turn it off. The "convienience" is really more of a waste. Having a seperate app running in the background for streaming music, etc is better use of the BW so it's not all bottlenecked to one app loading everything.
    4) Website Streams; Not something you can personally control, but in trying different things with my site, I have noticed that during large file transfers through FTP or when I used a streaming app to host an online radio station, it degrades the loading times for the members. This was also with 100,000GB of BW / month from my hosting.
    5) Firewalls/Modems/Routers; Checking the prefferences and setup of these devices is a good idea. Depending on what level you have your settings at, you may want to include this site on the "white list" of trusted sites.
    6) The last thing I've come across is connection. If your broadband is from a cable-company, you may have slower response depending on the volume of users in your grid. For both DSL and Cable, checking the wiring coming in from the terminal box to the modem is a good idea unless the ISP did a complete install for you and checked/replaced already.

Anything else I can think of has already been covered and I'm sure you probably have thought of all this already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well I think they're pretty fast, as long as the admins keep on top of tidying the databases and maintaining the servers I don't think there's a problem.
    Productivity Zero - My games arcade

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Did you notice the age of this thread? If there was still an issue, I would think that there ought to be more recent posts. Speaking about sleeping dogs...
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

No I didn't actually, I'm away with the fairies today.....I'll go make myself useful somewhere else (in another thread).
    Productivity Zero - My games arcade

Lol, sorry about that. Did a search and didn't notice the age.

On the other hand, keeping supportive info going isn't a useless task since someone else could just as easily have a simular problem currently or in the future. As the thread shows, it seemed to be more of a reletive issue for the thread starter than that of these forums themselves. It's also nicer to the DB if we update info as it comes up rather than having a bunch of simular threads all being sorted through.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast