Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast, good looking distro

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Fast, good looking distro

Can you customize fedora whilst installing it from the livecd? Also, are the kde and gnome versions pretty much the same? (unlike kubuntu and ubuntu).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by b0ng0 View Post
    Can you customize fedora whilst installing it from the livecd? Also, are the kde and gnome versions pretty much the same? (unlike kubuntu and ubuntu).
    1) No, just the DVD set... but you could build your own liveCD with revisor (it's actually really easy), just "yum install revisor" to install it and follow its steps.

2) I don't find Kubuntu and Ubuntu very different at all, so I would have to say Fedora is about the same. KDE apps are used instead of Gnome ones, of course, but aside from that I think they are roughly the same... what is it about Kubuntu and Ubuntu that you find so different?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Well I know they're not that different but since Feisty my wireless doesn't work in Kubuntu and does in Ubuntu (I know it's probably just a small program).

But anyway, I just fancy trying a new distro. Ill check fedora out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Try Knoppix.The 5.1.1. Great hardware detection and lots of programs. 2 GB of compressed software on CD and 8 GB software on DVD ( They have both CD and DVD). It even reads and writes NTFS partitions. And it is Debian.
    There are ways to install it too, one link is http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Hd_Install_HowTo
    Last edited by dptxp; August 25th, 2007 at 02:23 PM.
    Dowloading iso and Burning to CD, Useful Ubuntu and Linux Links
    Always keep a GParted CD and Puppy Linux CD ready with you.
    LINUX USER #444085 ,UBUNTU USER #12713.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fistfullofroses View Post
    Vector Linux.
    Agreed. Vector is great.
    http://www.vectorlinux.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Zenwalk is A M A Z I N G

I've got Zenwalk running on an older computer and I have to say I'm loving it. IT is lean and mean...I have become a huge fan of 'Zen Computing'. Sure it's a thin distro and people will point this out first, but if you don't mind the one program for each task and NO MORE, then you'll enjoy Zenwalk. I am amazed by the speed.

Everyone keeps saying that ARch Linux is fast, but (I have no personal experience with ARch) I simply cannot imagine that it would be fastER than Zenwalk. I found that Zenwalk is very very responsive and I really like that aspect of it. It is a terrific distribution and if I move away from Ubuntu, there is no doubt that Zenwalk WILL be the distro which replaces it.

The system is being used for web surfing, office related documents, printing, viewing contents (documents) of CDs and DVDs and creating custom wallpapers for Zenwalk. Inotherwords, if Zenwalk doesn't have it, I don't need it for the purposes of THIS machine.

From my experience with it, I would not hesitate in installing it as the ONLY OS on a system which is required for comparable use. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND it and I have to give it a 10/10.

If you reconsider and decide to look at XFCE, then I'd recommend this.
    Last edited by ArtF10; August 26th, 2007 at 04:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

+1 on zenwalk - the fastest booting distro I have ever installed - 23 seconds from lilo to logon screen and then 8 seconds to the desktop.

It is slick too and a great advert for Xfce (although I think Dreamlinux takes the Xfce prize). But I am having difficulty installing other WMs (fluxbox is my WM of choice for small and light distros).
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

+1 to Arch Linux

Superfast, lightweight, bleeding edge, flexible (you can have gnome, kde, xfce or anything!!) and highly customizable!

However, as a pre-requisite, you need to be reasonably accustomed to using linux esp. the CLI.
    March Linux : My pet distrolet of Arch Linux using Fluxbox. Please take a look!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

archlinux + kdemod

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have had a wee look around and have tried out too many distros to mention but I have to say that Arch has definitely won me over. Easy to set up with the wiki and exactly what I was looking for in terms of choosing what I want in my distro rather than get lots of bundled crap. I think I will still keep Ubuntu for a Gnome based distro but once I get my router up and running I will download kdemod for Arch, it looks very nice

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast