Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Double Clock Speed Problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: HOWTO: Double Clock Speed Problem

Quote Originally Posted by tseliot
    This is weird. And I've come to think it could be related to the Breezy kernel (they can be buggy sometimes).
    What I need you to do is to follow my HOWTO about kernel compilation. It's an easy, and step-by-step guide and it doesn't require any experience (you know how to install things in Synaptic orKynaptic and how to open Terminal or Konsole, don't you? ).

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=56835

Download the latest stable kernel from "www.kernel.org" (2.6.12-4, I guess) instead of Ubuntu sources (which is recommended in my guide and follow the same steps as the guide.

If you have any problems, please ask me.
    Um...what do I change in order to use the 2.6.12 kernel? You use apt-get a lot in that example. Where do I get the 2.6.12 source? I assume I need to add in a repository...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You have to download it from www.kernel.org (it's the source)

When you get to Point 3 of the guide and you get to these lines you have to modify them in the following way:

cd /home/your_username_folder/directory_where_you_put_the_downloaded_kernel (instead of cd /usr/src) (e.g. "cd /home/alberto/download" in my case)
    sudo tar --bzip2 -xvf linux-source-2.6.10.tar.bz2 /usr/src (use the name of the file you downloaded)
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.10 /usr/src/linux (use the name of the file you downloaded)
    cd /usr/src/linux

And in point 4:

remember to get to "File Systems"
    Select your filesystem, then select "ext3 journalling filesystem support" and press the spacebar (a "*" will appear beside it).

Press the right arrow and select exit.

Then you can go on with the instructions in Point 4.

The rest of the HOWTO is ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hmm...well, I recompiled the kernel but didn't specify the filesystem type. And that may explain the error message that I'm about to ask you about, at least partially:
    "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"
    And this happens both on my new kernel I just compiled and the old one that I was using, so my Linux installation is now Officially Broken. Would it be possible to use a Live CD to get in, and then mount in the still-intact (I think) filesystem as / and recompile with the correct options?

Or is there an option somewhere I can modify? After all, it does seem to have destroyed all my previously working kernels, instead of just having a problem with the one I compiled myself...

EDIT: It doesn't seem to be working. Ack! Help!
    Thanks for all the help so far, though.
    Last edited by Orborde; August 21st, 2005 at 06:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know how to help you. You can use a livecd to recover the files you need (important documents, etc) but I recommend you a reinstallation from scratch. I know it's annoying but I'm sure next time it won't happen again as now you are a bit more expert than before. C'mon don't give in and try again!

Beans

Ubuntu (Breezy C3 )fresh install boot problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Orborde
    I got to step 4 and could not complete it because I got the following at boot:
    /dev/hda2 does not exist! Dropping into a shell....
    Or something like that.

It works, however, when I boot into 2.6.10 instead of .12 in Grub (that's what I'm doing now), though we still have the glorious 50% problem. I downloaded linux-amd64-generic from the Breezy repositories and its dependencies. This is an HP Pavilion zv6130, if anyone might want to know.
    I get the same problem on my zv6 with a new breezy colony3
    install. It worked with 5.04 ( well untill I blew it away with the
    new install).

My /dev/hdx is correct.

Decompressing Linux ... done.
    Booting the kernel.
    Unable to find volume group "hda6"
    Alert! /dev/hda6 does not exist Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox <blah>
    #

It can't find the partition. I don't see fdisk or any way I can see
    what partitions exist on the drive.

.... Try 3..........

wl

It looks like comp really can't

Beans

After a lot of searching the web for a solution to this (in the dmesg)

warning: many lost ticks.
    Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts
    rip default_idle+0x20/0x30

The solution seems to be to put "notsc" in the kernel options line in grub.conf. This will disable the tsc for dual core processors (Athlon X2 3800+ in this case) (which seems to get out of sync). All of my clock problems disappeared after that.

Beans

another problem

thanks for the howto, but I've had only partial success.

I have the following laptop-

compaq presario v2311US

Amd turion 64
    512 ram
    60 Gb HD
    ATI radeon xpress 200m 128mb

after following the instructions in the howto (downloading kernel version 2.6.12-8; the only >2.6.12 available now) and updating grub the cpu usage level is solved and the laptop is noticeably faster, but with the following problems:

in the early stages of the boot process I get the error-

sed: unsupported command I
    repeated 5-6 times.
    later in the boot sequence this message apears:
    *FATAL udev is already active on /dev/

startup continues, and completes, but networking is disabled. (and maybe other effects as well)

any ideas??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: another problem

Quote Originally Posted by sas13
    thanks for the howto, but I've had only partial success.

I have the following laptop-

compaq presario v2311US

Amd turion 64
    512 ram
    60 Gb HD
    ATI radeon xpress 200m 128mb

after following the instructions in the howto (downloading kernel version 2.6.12-8; the only >2.6.12 available now) and updating grub the cpu usage level is solved and the laptop is noticeably faster, but with the following problems:

in the early stages of the boot process I get the error-

sed: unsupported command I
    repeated 5-6 times.
    later in the boot sequence this message apears:
    *FATAL udev is already active on /dev/

startup continues, and completes, but networking is disabled. (and maybe other effects as well)

any ideas??

get back to your previous kernel and compile a new one. You can follow my guide, it's for newbies:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=56835

You can download and compile kernel 2.6.13 from kernel.org if you wish

Beans

thanks for the response, but I'm still not there yet...

I compiled a new kernel (from a vanilla 2.6.13), according to your HOWTO but with one difference:

in part 3 when I got to

Code:
     sudo make menuconfig
    I got an error allong the lines of
    Code:
    ERROR - your display is not big enough to run menuconfig, at least 80 columns and 19 rows required
    I checked .config and it looked like it had the correct options selected, so I just did

Code:
    sudo make config
    and did the rest acording to the HOWTO (I'm a newbie so I might have done something that doesn't make any sense at all...)

there were no further errors, but when I reboot with the new kernel I get an error similar to the previous post:

Code:
    ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
    Kernel Panic - not synching: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)
    luckily, I can still boot with my old kernel. Any ideas?

Beans

After reading (almost) all discussion about how to solve double clock speed problem, in this post and others, i really couldn't understand why ubuntu haven't release official kernel upgrade for amd64.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast