Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Graphical IP Blocker

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Graphical IP Blocker

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Spehar View Post
    Hi trinitydan,

I checked my log and indeed, it was already blocking. Thx for the simple solution.

But it remains weird that the process "ipblock" is nowhere to be found in my sessions manager.
    IPblock is a front-end for iplist which runs as a daemon process if autostart is enabled.
    iplist

"Specialization is for Insects", R. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am running Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 and have just installed IP Block. Everything is running fine except I am getting:

Range Source Destination Protocol Action Hits Type
    Consig 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.3 UDP Blocked ## In

the source is actually my router. My settings are Autostart Verbose Auto-Update: 2 days Log Level: Match HTTP Proxy 127.0.0.1:8118

Connection I have

Incoming and Outgoing checked
    Ignored Ports (out) I have HTTPS FTP POP3
    TCP ssh 9001
    UDP domain ntp

all checked

Any suggestions?
    Thanx gang.
    These are the setting I currently have. The post above is incorrect.
    Last edited by silverwolf636; January 15th, 2011 at 04:38 PM.

Beans

I just installed iplist 0.29 but I can't find the binary to run. the installation was successful but when I type iplist in the terminal all I get is "no command 'iplist' found". I searched my filesystem and couldn't find it that way either. am I supposed to use some other command to start up iplist?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dolphins View Post
    I just installed iplist 0.29 but I can't find the binary to run. the installation was successful but when I type iplist in the terminal all I get is "no command 'iplist' found". I searched my filesystem and couldn't find it that way either. am I supposed to use some other command to start up iplist?
    all I type is iplist -h for the commands.

Beans

Auto start, auto update, auto imported lists? This is an awesome addition to my ubuntu.

Beans

Post Re: HOWTO: Graphical IP Blocker

Thank you for this post. It was extremely easy to implement.

However, is there anyway to have IPBlock enabled and have my torrents run at full speed? When enabled my torrent download rate is significantly lower as compared to when it is disabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I, too, was very happy to find this post, and I now have IPBlock keeping the parasites at bay. I use PeerBlock when I run Windows 7, for the same reasons.

However, I think I'm missing something with regard to whitelists. As in, there don't seem to be any, or maybe I just don't understand how to add them to IPBlock.

I looked through the Bluetack bunch's website, but all the lists were oriented toward blocking stuff, not allowing the stuff you do want.

In particular, I would like to whitelist traffic for websites I use, such as Netflix, manufacturer product forums, etc.

I suppose I could completely disable blocking of HTTP traffic, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of using IPBlock.
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
    I, too, was very happy to find this post, and I now have IPBlock keeping the parasites at bay. I use PeerBlock when I run Windows 7, for the same reasons.

However, I think I'm missing something with regard to whitelists. As in, there don't seem to be any, or maybe I just don't understand how to add them to IPBlock.

I looked through the Bluetack bunch's website, but all the lists were oriented toward blocking stuff, not allowing the stuff you do want.

In particular, I would like to whitelist traffic for websites I use, such as Netflix, manufacturer product forums, etc.

I suppose I could completely disable blocking of HTTP traffic, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of using IPBlock.
    Objekt -

When something shows as being blocked on the log tab of IPBlock, you can left-click to highlight it, then right-click to allow the site temporarily or permanently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Sure, but I don't want to have to do that every time I try to access a website with HTTP blocking enabled. It gets old, fast.

I've had to do it with Peerblock under Windows, and it can get really tedious.

I'd much prefer to have a text file or something containing a list of IP addresses known to be associated with a certain service/company website. If I have to right click and allow every time, I might as well turn IPBlock off.
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Objekt View Post
    Sure, but I don't want to have to do that every time I try to access a website with HTTP blocking enabled. It gets old, fast.

I've had to do it with Peerblock under Windows, and it can get really tedious.

I'd much prefer to have a text file or something containing a list of IP addresses known to be associated with a certain service/company website. If I have to right click and allow every time, I might as well turn IPBlock off.
    For whitelist

Create a p2p list in /var/cache/iplist/ and add the file to ALLOW_LIST in /etc/ipblock.conf Before editing the configuration file the GUI needs to be closed.
    A sample p2p list: localhost : 127.0.0.1 - 127.0.0.1

Explanation from this FAQ
    The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots.

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast