Thread: Guild wars bug

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Guild wars bug

I got guildwars today (yay ) and i got it working twice...

but now whenever i try to run it, it loads it's little connection screen, and before it gets to the login page it becomes a wierd desktop eating monster and freezes like that

i got a screenshot

http://server5.pictiger.com/img/1272...screenshot.png

what's going on?

(my desktop is not black and it takes around 5 minutes for the effect to go away... also, my resolution is stuck like that (mine is much higher) )
    The box said that I needed to have Windows 98 or better... so I installed Linux
    Need help with shell commands? click
    Need MORE help with shell commands? advanced click

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: Guild wars bug

I have been trying to get Guild Wars to work on my PC so how did you do that?

And your answer (or so I think):I think that Wine is not being able to keep up with gameplay. It does the same with Age of Mythology. It can play for awhile then cuts off. I would say your best bet is to Google, "Guild wars in Wine guide" then click a few links and try and find an answer. Or if that dosen't help ask for the Wine devolpers to work on Guild Wars. Also if you don't mind spending $5 a month,get Cedega. I don't use it but my friend does and it works just like on a Windows OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Guild wars bug

I just got guild wars working in ubuntu today and i say it almost runs perfect.

if you havent already:

in winecfg make sure the audio driver settings are set to alsa, the default is set to OSS

set windows compatibility mode to windows 98

use this command to launch guild wars:

Code:
    WINEDEBUG=-all wine "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -dsound -dx8 -noshaders -windowed
    if the above command works, then you can try it with direct x 9 (remove -dx8 from command), but even with my computer i notice that it lags really bad if you take -noshaders off

see if that works
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans

Sigh. Someone really needs to sticky the GW launch command, or at least force people to read that "How I got Guild Wars Working" thread. Even if this works...read it anyway.
    Code:
    ┌─(buttons@freyja:pts/0)──────────────────────────────────────────────────(~)─┐
    └─(09:55:%)── cat bin/gw                                        ──(Mon,Aug20)─┘
    #!/bin/sh
    export WINEDEBUG=-all
    wine "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -dsound -dx8 -noshaders
    EDIT: It also works with OSS enabled in winecfg, if you're curious. The difference in the above command and Polygon's is the nice fullscreen-ness.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i dont like fullscreen because if guild wars or wine crashes for any reason, good luck killing the application. With windowed mode, you can still open a terminal and type "killall wine"..... but take your preference
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

you guys are gods
    The box said that I needed to have Windows 98 or better... so I installed Linux
    Need help with shell commands? click
    Need MORE help with shell commands? advanced click

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    i dont like fullscreen because if guild wars or wine crashes for any reason, good luck killing the application. With windowed mode, you can still open a terminal and type "killall wine"..... but take your preference
    Hmm. Odd thing about wine is that it doesn't seem to understand "fullscreen," at least when using xfwm4 as your window manager. When I'm running wine apps fullscreen I can alt-tab, or better yet ctrl-alt-right (to switch to the next desktop over). I also set up a key combination for opening a terminal, which seems to work.

It occurs to me that I've never tested this in metacity. Nor am I likely to, since I don't have it installed

I should note that none of this wonderful flexibility ever works in native apps. For that, you have to ctrl-alt-# to get the main terminal window.