Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Alaska LoCo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu Alaska LoCo

Multiple reboots. Deinstalled edubuntu-desktop gnome and KDE packages. Deactivated italc client and thin client manager. Interestingly, my wife's ubuntu-only gnome-only no-edubuntu install never had a problem with this. I think the problem is the italc client.

Now my problem is that I can play DVDs but I only get audio. Grrr!

Beans
    Distro

I'll toss my hat in the ring too. In Juneau- running 7.10 on an older Dell box. Building two new boxes: one to run Linux for fisheries modeling, another for running UbuntuStudio. Desktop is currently Enlightenment. Very interesting in using Ubuntu as the OS for a small cluster, but a ton of work needs to be prepped before THAT particular toy emerges.

Nice to see everyone.

Beans
    Distro

The DVD problem is some combined conflict between Compiz and VLC. It is "cured" by disabling desktop effects ("none"). I think that means I should scrub compiz entirely.

Anyone going to the AKLUG meeting tonight? www.aklug.org

Beans
    Distro

Had a frustration with Ubuntu this last weekend. Two glitches, actually. I use my laptop for a lot of stuff, including training presentations. I was doing one presentation to a tiny group using the laptop's LCD directly. Worked marvelously to swap between a powerpoint and VLC. Very slick.

Except one part where a slide on my powerpoint wouldn't display properly in slideshow but would display properly as a preview. Irritating. I'll need to pipe that powerpoint into a proper open format and fix it. Always makes me feel like a boob when my slideshow doesn't synch right.

Then later my tiny group linked up with other tiny groups to make an actual small group. One presenter had a projector, so we wanted to pipe my laptop through his projector since it was my slides that we'd be using for the next two hours.

No dice.

No amount of fiddling that I could figure out in 60 seconds allowed me to pipe data through the external VGA port of my laptop.

Sat down with this at home on Saturday to make it work. Dangit, I'm going to MAKE this work!

Turns out I had the solution in front of me all along. Having previously used EnvgNG to install the latest restricted ATI drivers, the ATI control panel allows me to activate support for a second monitor. At home, plugged into an external monitor, it was detected automagically, greyed out, and merely needed to be activated.

Problem:
    This procedure requires a REBOOT.
    No simple alt-F3 screen switching like in XP/Vista.

Okay, so I'm going so solve this permenantly. I'll activate the second monitor, tell it to clone output, and leave it that way whether the monitor is plugged in or not. No dice.

Here, Gateway bites me in the rear. Before I even got around to unplugging the external monitor to find out what happens to the laptop when its told to use an external monitor that doesn't exist (should be "nothing at all", same as turning said monitor off at the switch), I realize that:
    WHEN DUAL MONITORS ARE ACTIVATED, WIRELESS IS DE-ACTIVATED

AAAARGH!

I hate Gateway. This isn't a driver thing. This is a Gateway thing. This is some stupid quirk to the motherboard itself. Previously I'd already learned, under XP, that installing bluetooth drivers for an external USB bluetooth key causes the wireless to become nonfunctional. It will at that point recognise wireless networks, connect to them, but not talk to them. Solved with Ubuntu, of course, now happily mixing bluetooth and wireless. But not mixing dual-monitors with wireless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Ubuntu Alaska LoCo

Quote Originally Posted by AK Dave View Post
    The DVD problem is some combined conflict between Compiz and VLC. It is "cured" by disabling desktop effects ("none"). I think that means I should scrub compiz entirely.

Anyone going to the AKLUG meeting tonight? www.aklug.org
    Thanks. I wasn't aware of this group.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by barney385 View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not flying to Anchorage just to have coffee!!!

It's good to see others are waking up to the open-source community though!!!

I've been fooling around with Ubuntu for about a year now, but I'm in between laptops.

Greetings to all!!!
    I have my new laptop now. I have a T9300, 2gbs Ram and a M8600GT video card. It has a 160gb hard drive and 4965 Intel ProWireless.

I installed Hardy Heron 8.04 without a hitch. Everything works great. Oh, I'm running the 64-Bit edition also.

Now if someone here in Dutch Harbor/Unalaska shows up here everything will be great!!

If I'm ever up in Anchorage I'll be sure to post here and let you all know.

I can't tell you all how glad I am I made the switch...

Have a good one peeps!!

Beans

Juneau user here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

And here I thought I was the only Juneauite using Linux... well, besides the new librarian at the University. Nice lady.

Alaskan Ubuntuers Unite!
    Last edited by Sarai the Geek; March 30th, 2009 at 04:09 AM.

Beans

Hi, I'm here. Hello.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast