Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: What is the lamest reason for giving up on Ubuntu/Linux you've ever heard?

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy_pdb View Post
    Finally, I consider this response of yours to be on the list of poor reasons for not giving Linux an honest attempt (based on my first response):
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhack View Post
    That's fair. I used Windows until just recently when 7.04 finally supported hibernation on my computer.
    Yes, I could still use Linux without hibernation support, but why should I cause my self more headaches when I have a perfectly good Windows system? I know what I am doing when it comes to Windows XP, so maintaining it, isn't difficult, and I would much rather do that and save on electric costs for when I leave without powering down the entire system all the time.

There was also a comment I made about giving up long before 4-5 hours like another person had spent on Linux. If Linux is so superior, why would it take 4-5 hours to set up? I'm not trolling here, I realize it is a hardware issue and that some venders are more stubborn than others, but for a particular person's needs, Linux is not the solution. Hell, I have supported hardware and I know for a fact that even a power-user from Windows wouldn't be able to get Ubuntu 7.04 working on my machine unless they were familiar with the internals of Linux.

It almost seems like the fanboys would shoot themselves in the foot and bleed just so they can proclaim that they shot themselves using a Linux bullet. Windows is more like an itchy rash. Annoying, but at least I am still able to get work done instead of bleeding to death and acting like I am better than Windows users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

A friend of mine after my suggestion to use ubuntu or even kubuntu with XP-like KDE:"It took me 2,5 weeks to apply the cr@ck on vista and get it work,I ain't changing anything"
    Bump
    Those that can,do.Those that can't,complain!

Your right to speak doesn't include our obligation to take you seriously

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There was also a comment I made about giving up long before 4-5 hours like another person had spent on Linux. If Linux is so superior, why would it take 4-5 hours to set up?
    windows XP takes me 6 hours to setup, Linux 2 hours. IF you were right, why would it be so easy to find a counter example? 4-5 hours setting something up is by far a low amount of time anyways.

Yes, I could still use Linux without hibernation support, but why should I cause my self more headaches when I have a perfectly good Windows system? I know what I am doing when it comes to Windows XP, so maintaining it, isn't difficult, and I would much rather do that and save on electric costs for when I leave without powering down the entire system all the time.
    Well, I just shut the computer down... not like hibernation takes less time than turning it off... but the power management is getting fixed afaik gutsy will improve this one.

It almost seems like the fanboys would shoot themselves in the foot and bleed just so they can proclaim that they shot themselves using a Linux bullet. Windows is more like an itchy rash. Annoying, but at least I am still able to get work done instead of bleeding to death and acting like I am better than Windows users.
    well there you go, you sound like a fanboy yourself, anyways to me ubuntu is confortable to use, I wouldn't be using it otherwise.

could you please change your "XXXX user" text on your profile, It doesn't sound accurate.

How many times do you have to push a button on your keyboard to accomplish a task? One click of the mouse versus twenty on a keyboard. I wonder which is easier? Granted this isn't always the case, but a GUI is very useful and saves a lot of time.
    The keyboard, of course. Using the mouse requires graphic memory + time + click, the keyboard requires typing something. But could we stop the myth, anyways? you'll only need the terminal to paste commands given to you in tutorials in the extreme case you need to set up something that didn't work out of the box. It is not true anymore that you need the terminal for everything, although I use the terminal all the time because it is 100 times more efficient than the mouse, sorry but if it saves my time then it is good.

(in response to "dousn't have photoshop") If you consider this a lame excuse then you must not use your computer for professional work. Some people have real lives and real uses for software. Again, this makes Linux users sound like pushy salesmen, "But but... it's BETTER!!!". Let me ask you, what is your favorite console video game? Let's say for the sake of argument that it is a first person shooter like Halo. How would you feel if a pushy N64 fanboy pushed Goldeneye 007 as an alternative?
    Ok, get real, how many people are actually professional artists? Cause you seem to imply that everybody is a professional artist... besides, it is a lame excuse since... linux runs photoshop. Also to dismiss the other tools is lame, since they are good anyways, for people that like to pay for software there is Pixel, there is also xara extreme, etc and the gimp is good once you get used to it and will get a lot of fixes in the next versions..

(in response to : "I don't want to spend money just to get Linux working wirelessly") This is fair. Not everyone wants to go out and spend money on new hardware. Especially if they are new and have never heard of Linux. Why spend money for something that you have never even heard of before? Besides, if Windows works well and Linux doesn't, there isn't a critical reason to switch.
    It is a lame excuse, because you don't really need to spend money for that.

( in response to : "why use this (ubuntu) when the old one (windows) work fine" ~ my dad) My father said the same thing. You know what? He's right.
    It is a lame excuse, because: - windows is not the old one. - windows does not work fine - That attitude is only harmful to evolution of mankind.

(in response to : "lacks proper hibernate support - Me" ) That's fair. I used Windows until just recently when 7.04 finally supported hibernation on my computer.
    I think the guy misunderstood the intent of this thread and went to give his own reasons instead of lame excuses he heard...

That's valid and justified. I would have quit LONG before 4-5 hours.
    that was yet another guy that didn't understand the purpose of this thread.
    Last edited by vexorian; August 22nd, 2007 at 02:43 PM.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Hey guys, how's it going?

Beans

Because that little dohickey won't work with my thingamajig, and the whatyoumaycallit doesn't do the thing when the whoseitmaywhat is supposed to do what it's supposed to.... of course it doesn't work in windows either, but I can't live without my AOL and pc games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

"I installed unbunti over my windowz but i didnt lyk the brown so how do i uninstall ubnutu plz"

But I also have to give a vote to the people who complain that their pirated version of Photoshop CS3 won't run.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

damnit, this is going nowhere. I will try setting up a basic wiki in the following minutes, copy-paste some of the arguments I see here, and allow you guys to edit the page.

Unless it is suggested that editing the pages should be restricted to certain accounts? I will, in any case, put a spam checker (url approvals and spam words) in the meantime.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Is not only that, I have another translation

"I dont want to read manuals that tell me how to do it myself and realize what a moron I am, I rather make poor descriptions over the phone to a foreign guy so I can yell at him and tell him what a moron he is cause he cannot figure it out over the phone while trying to decipher my redneck accent"

Oh, you've had him call you too? Granted I'm not a foreign guy, and he didn't have a redneck accent, but the rest is. He even told me to go f*** myself when he wasn't getting a refund either.
    Explaining the Internet to someone who's never been online, is like explaining the Magna Carta to your cat.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Translation - "You have to search a forum full of helpful, experienced people who actually know what they're talking about, rather than sit on hold for half an hour to be connected to somebody who'll just read the manual at you."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitriid View Post
    Is not only that, I have another translation

"I dont want to read manuals that tell me how to do it myself and realize what a moron I am, I rather make poor descriptions over the phone to a foreign guy so I can yell at him and tell him what a moron he is cause he cannot figure it out over the phone while trying to decipher my redneck accent"
    Hahha, thanks for the translations.
    Error: Variable SIGNATURE was not found. Printing error report...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It is a lame excuse, because: - windows is not the old one. - windows does not work fine - That attitude is only harmful to evolution of mankind.
    you say windows does not work fine, other says exactly the opposite. different opinions, everybody should understand this and not go any further with assumptions
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast