Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: closed threads because "it was tried and failed before"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: closed threads because "it was tried and failed before"

this is not about which rights you *gave yourself* but whether those rights go with the spirit of open source
    Philosophy doesn't get the work done...the success of Linux Community resides on its ability to listen to the people's demands and transform them into software faster/better than the alternatives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: no place for a hierarchical ranking system.

once again, you go back to the specifics that I kindly suggested you put aside for a second to see the substance of the issue....but if you want, here it goes..the idea of a reputation metric can be as good or as bad as you want it....the specifis I wanted to debate was how useful it could be (focusing on the postive side) when finding answers so that you could sort answers by , say, reputation...

we could aswell discuss the negative side of such metrics, but no, *you* decided such debate was also over, by closing the thread..
    Philosophy doesn't get the work done...the success of Linux Community resides on its ability to listen to the people's demands and transform them into software faster/better than the alternatives

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jdrodrig View Post
    this is not about which rights you *gave yourself* but whether those rights go with the spirit of open source
    Please cite where it states in the open source community that a support forum cannot appoint a management body to make decisions regarding the running of the Forum.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think I am not doing a good job....I am not saying you should not decide which threads to close or not, all I am saying is that that decision should not lead to close threads just because the topic was discussed before, or because a single admin thinks the discussion is fruitful...

Threads with insults, flames and so on, sure of course be closed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

And more importantly, such forum and its decision guidelines just like the linux kernel, should be open for suggestions....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

To rephrase your challenge: could you cite "where it states in the open source community" that the forum council has the monopoly of deciding which debates are fruitful or not and that normal users have no say on it?

Beans

Yes we are open to suggestions , this is exampled by the open meetings we hold.
    But at the end of the day we are charged by the Forum owners to manage the Forum and as such will make decisions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I see you are reluctant to take either side of the general question I posed: should repeated topics being closed automatically or it is enough to close a thread the fact that an admin thought the debate is not fruitful...you are basically saying, the forum council decides whatever it decides....fair enough... but I was expecting a more engaging conversation.

I quote from the forums policies: "If a thread has run it's course and posts have begun repeating themes a thread may be closed...".... that is a very vague and dangerous statement, what it means "run it's course", who decides? wouldn't be as simple as letting the thread not be read or posted to in this forums...why you need to close it? disk space?

You have a very valuable resource, interested and smart people. Nobody knows when they will pick up a thread in the archives and had a great idea about an old issue...you are eliminating that chance...yours and this forum's lost...

Beans

The decision to close threads is based on a case by case basis and at the discretion of staff.

I think we will agree to disagree with this issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

That's the best part...I do not know if I disagree with you...you never set down your specific opinion....not even at your personal (non-Forum Council member) point of view...

Anyway, for the record, please make this my formal entry into the suggestion box for the next meeting (open or closed):

Merge threads, do not close them down *just* because they are related to previous discussions! Unless the threads violates rules related to insults, flames, etc, leave the thread open as the least of the considerations you can have for future generations of ubuntu users

Thanks for your patience KiwiNZ...

CU around the forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast