Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How-to: Playing old dos games with Dosbox. Guide for newbies.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: How-to: Playing old dos games with Dosbox. Guide for newbies.

is there any way i could make a launcher for the panel that would launch the game with just the click off a button?

Beans

Hi! I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me with the DosBox thing. I'm not very computer savvy either so please bear with me. I was following the instructions on how to get the dosbox to work but now I.m stuck. I got it to accept the mount c thing I think. It says mount c:windows mounts windows directory as the c drive in DOSBox and won't do anything else. I didn't get asked for a password or anything and I don't know if I've activated it or not. I have no clue how to get the games into it either. Any help would be apprecitated. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Oztazdevil View Post
    Hi! I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me with the DosBox thing. I'm not very computer savvy either so please bear with me. I was following the instructions on how to get the dosbox to work but now I.m stuck. I got it to accept the mount c thing I think. It says mount c:windows mounts windows directory as the c drive in DOSBox and won't do anything else. I didn't get asked for a password or anything and I don't know if I've activated it or not. I have no clue how to get the games into it either. Any help would be apprecitated. Thank you.
    After launching dosbox from the terminal, write:

Code:
    mount c /home/yournamehere/directory-to-game/
    where "yournamehere" is your username, e.g. bob, and directory-to-game is where your game is located. If it is in your home directory and your name is bob, the parameter could be something like: mount c /home/bob/mortalkombat
    Drive c will now be mounted in /home/bob/mortalkombat and you can now get a list of files by typing dir /p or simply dir to find the name of the .exe or .bat to run the game.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    Is there any marked difference between a DOS box and booting DOS in a virtual machine?
    Yes, DOSBox isn't a universal x86 emulation layer like VPC, VMWare and the rest.

DOSBox is predominantly an emulator for running DOS era games and it emulates technologies like EMS, XMS and HIMEM to allow for highest available memory - a very important thing for most DOS games. It also integrates complete emulation of the 80486 at variable speeds (as slow as 1mhz and as fast as Pentium 200 and faster depending on the host system).

DOSBox also emulates necessary hardware that the majority of DOS games might need/use. These include:-

• The ISA SoundBlaster range (SB, SB1.5, SBPro, SBPro 2, SB 16) except the AWE32.
    • The Adlib FM synth.
    • The Gravis UltraSound basic, Max and Pro soundcards
    • MT32 and GM external synth output (there are also SVN builds that integrate MUNT MT32 emulation, you'll need the MT32 ROMs and it doesn't sound 100% accurate - harmonies are off in many cases)
    • Various VGA chipsets including ET4000, CL and more including ModeX emulation.
    • CGA, EGA, Hercules and IMB 8514.
    • Joystick and mouse input.
    • Output scalers such as 2X, Eagle and so on (important as many DOS games run at 320x200 and so need to be scaled fill screens. Aspect ratio is supported so you can scale a 3:2 res to something much higher and have black bars on either side - important for widescreen monitors.

There are also custom SVN builds that also have 3DFX Glide and other emulated hardware (such a VR Helmets) built in.

It's teh awesome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by IsawSp4rks
    MT32 and GM external synth output (there are also SVN builds that integrate MUNT MT32 emulation...
    The following post shows to get the MT32 emulation going with DOSBOX...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=728989

Beans

I am trying to run X-wing vs. TIE fighter in Ubuntu 7.10. I followed the how to and this is what I got:

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks,
    Semisweet

Beans
    Hidden!

You need Windows 95 or Windows 98 to run it. It does not run in Dos, it seems.

http://www.mrhope.com/games/games/xwvstf.htm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i've got the original x-wing game and the original tie fighter game both are on 3.5in floppies

how do i install games that are on multiple floppies?
    specs:
    cpu: 2.8GHz celeron ram: 1GB HDD:16GB
    graphics: nvidia 256MB geforce6 6200

Beans

Thanks for this! Supremely helpful and worked like a charm! Currently enjoying the over-the-top cheesy awesomeness that is Police Quest 3: The Kindred.

You made my day

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12