Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Howto Easy FuseSMB - access Samba shares from ALL programs. - automatic access to win

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Howto Easy FuseSMB - access Samba shares from ALL programs. - automatic access to

I have managed to get so far with setting up Samba in Xfce4-Ububtu 8.10. I can see the other windows computer and the files therein but cannot access the files. I have set the 'share' in windows but on my Xubuntu I cannot change the recommended settings in Apps/System/Users & Groups, the properties of /media/network file for my username read write, group read only, others read only. I can change the setting but it does not stick!

Happily from the windows computer I can see and access the files but cannot write (copy over) new files.

Would appreciate your suggestions to fix this, and a guide to affect (chmod) so that I do not get into a big mess!.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Howto Easy FuseSMB - access Samba shares from ALL programs. - automatic access to

i cant acces some servers - actually it seems that only windows 2003 servers. is this a bug?

Beans

I'm confused, what functionality will this add over just using the built in smb:// browsing functionality of Nautilus?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eniacpx View Post
    I'm confused, what functionality will this add over just using the built in smb:// browsing functionality of Nautilus?
    Thunar, which is default in XFCE does not support it and to install Nautilus on Xubuntu will mean to have almost full Gnome installation, what some people would like to avoid.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by eniacpx View Post
    with this you can browse the network as if it was part of the file system, (like /media/network/workgroups/ etc.) and thus all applications (for example the terminal) can have acces to files over samba shares. only a limited number of applications support Nautilus's way of browsing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rapchee View Post
    with this you can browse the network as if it was part of the file system, (like /media/network/workgroups/ etc.) and thus all applications (for example the terminal) can have acces to files over samba shares. only a limited number of applications support Nautilus's way of browsing.
    Maybe I'll give it a shot, though I just created a symlink in my home directory called "Network" that points to my ~/.gvfs directory, this gives all my apps, including the terminal, access to any share I have opened in Nautilus, though I do have to open the share in Nautilus before it will work, maybe this will save me a step.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234