Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess I'm the first in Evansville...

Beans

Cool I guess I'm the first in Evansville...

There's not a lot of Linux here, but I'm inclined to stay to take care of Mom. I started a Linux User Group once upon a time, but then moved off to Chicago a few times. Others are doing that, now.

I'm most interested in finding Linux work...any chances? I'm a sysadmin, not a programmer, though I know how to script...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: I guess I'm the first in Evansville...

I'm a sysadmin myself, buddy. You can find work for sure, but it sure helps if you're willing to do some Windows stuff as well.

Ask around, maybe at the U of E? You might also check with Windows-centric "IT Services" companies, too; I bet many of them have a business or corporate client that uses/prefers Linux, and would like to be able to provide service to them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

PS don't forget to look online for gigs, too. I telecommute these days, and it's great. My office is a 14-hour drive away from my house.

Beans

Finding Linux work is still not exactly an easy thing, but make yourself a part of communities and mailing lists, and the information will come to you.

I got my last job via the Ubuntu Education community, for example.

I know the Hoosier Education Computer Coordinators' mailing list pretty regularly sees job postings, if you're looking for technical work in Indiana schools. <http://hecc.k12.in.us/list.aspx>

Beans

Hello WheelDweller - there are a few of us crazies from the Evansville area... I live in Newburgh
    Last edited by DanielDunn; August 15th, 2007 at 07:38 PM.

Beans

not really......I'm here in boonville/chandler area......

Beans

I'm also in Evansville. Programmer for AGF downtown, hoping to someday move into a Linux Admin position. Would love to be part of the LoCo!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by DanielDunn View Post
    Hello WheelDweller - there are a few of us crazies from the Evansville area... I live in Newburgh
    I think I work with you. Or rather, work at the same place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aaron.dunlap View Post
    I'm also in Evansville. Programmer for AGF downtown, hoping to someday move into a Linux Admin position. Would love to be part of the LoCo!
    Welcome aboard, Aaron!

We're having our monthly IRC meeting tonight, if you wanna jump on and say hi. The announcement is on this forum a couple of posts back.

Beans

Hey all! There is a linux users group in Evansville, IN. Here is the website, http://eville-lug.vndv.com
    It is a new website, so bear with us. We do have meetings on the last saturday of every month. These meetings are located at Ivy Tech on 1st ave. in evansville. Go to the website to find more info. This club is small, (I think 9 or so people) but is is growing fast. We welcome all newcomers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast