Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familar with Gentoo, especially installing?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Anyone familar with Gentoo, especially installing?

I'd like to know is anyone there familiar with Gentoo, I'd like to install it on my external hard drive but not sure whether I'd be able to do it without damaging my current install of Kubuntu/Windows on my main drive...

My external drive is /dev/sda and my internal is /dev/hda...

Is it easy to install Gentoo onto an external drive? And how long should I expect install to take (approximately of course... 512MB RAM, 2.667Ghz, USB2.0).

Also what way should I go.... I was thinking of the LiveCD, but would it be better to get the LiveDVD instead, what does DVD have that CD doesn't?

Beans

Re: Anyone familar with Gentoo, especially installing?

Quote Originally Posted by happysmileman View Post
    I'd like to know is anyone there familiar with Gentoo, I'd like to install it on my external hard drive but not sure whether I'd be able to do it without damaging my current install of Kubuntu/Windows on my main drive...

My external drive is /dev/sda and my internal is /dev/hda...

Is it easy to install Gentoo onto an external drive? And how long should I expect install to take (approximately of course... 512MB RAM, 2.667Ghz, USB2.0).

Also what way should I go.... I was thinking of the LiveCD, but would it be better to get the LiveDVD instead, what does DVD have that CD doesn't?
    You really should have another PC available to have the handbook open while you install (or at least print the whole thing). I know it is old school, but you really should install from the minimal CD. Its tedious, you wont be able to use your computer for a day or two (unless you install WM like fluxbox to use in the meantime while big things like gnome/KDE compile).

Installing from stage3 (using the minimal CD) is where you will learn a lot. It lets you see what you are doing easier and then when you have the system you will understand how to admin it better. The handbook is great. You might not have any idea what it is telling you at times, but follow it step by step and you will be fine.

Oh, the liveCD could get you up and running on a gentoo system in an hour (using pre-compiled binaries), but it is really buggy last I checked. If this is fixed you could try it, but I think (at least the first time) you should use the minimal/stage3 install so you see what is going on behind the scenes.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hmmm... i don't have another computer... And I don't mind using pre-compiled binaries at first, for the big stuff, I was planning to use pre-compiled stuff for big stuff like KDE anyway, though I'm thinking maybe I should compile them.

I might not do it for a while anyway so maybe in the future i'll have a day or two... But since I don't have another compuer or working printer LiveCD might be best way to go?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is only one way to do a proper Gentoo install, and thats by hand, compiling everything from stage3+. Any other method, and your not getting a completely optimized system.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by buntunub View Post
    There is only one way to do a proper Gentoo install, and thats by hand, compiling everything from stage3+. Any other method, and your not getting a completely optimized system.
    Yeah that sucks... Is it an installer where I follow instructions and it compiles based on what I answer.... Or is it like a shell where i compile everything myself?

Beans

Yeah that sucks... Is it an installer where I follow instructions and it compiles based on what I answer.... Or is it like a shell where i compile everything myself?
    Its a mix. Compiling in Gentoo is nothing like compiling in Ubuntu. Basically it is a package manager, but instead of downloading RPMs or DEBs, it downloads the source and an ebuild, which is essentially instructions on how to compile it and what dependencies it needs. In short, instead of:
    Code:
    cd ~/pidgin-2.1
    ./configure --options
    make
    make install
    it is simply:
    Code:
    emerge --options pidgin
    So that part is easy, but the rest of the setup (config files, init scripts etc.) is hard. Well, not hard, it just needs to be precise. The manual walks you through it amazingly well, so you don't need to know it before hand, you just need to follow the directions. You probably wont understand it all, I still don't and I've done almost 10 installs, but you pick up pieces that are useful, not just in Gentoo, but with all distros.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    it is simply:
    Code:
    emerge --options pidgin
    I beg your pardon but to set the configure options in Gentoo, you use the USE flags, you don't specify them on the emerge command.

Quote Originally Posted by buntunub View Post
    Huh ? So my system built from stage 1 is not optimized, then ?

Oh, and moved to the Gentoo subforum, too.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; August 10th, 2007 at 05:21 PM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok then, another question... Can I do a stage3 install from something other than Minimal install CD... The minimal install CD seems to be "basic Linux with nothing else"... I only have a 512kbps connection so would prefer to not have to download stuff like KDE source... Is there a way to do a stage3 install on a CD with packages and stuff?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ok then, another question... Can I do a stage3 install from something other than Minimal install CD... The minimal install CD seems to be "basic Linux with nothing else"... I only have a 512kbps connection so would prefer to not have to download stuff like KDE source... Is there a way to do a stage3 install on a CD with packages and stuff?
    You can do a stage 3 install from anywhere. Any Live CD you want, your already installed Linux, maybe even Windows... But let me ask you a question, if you want precompiled packages, why go with Gentoo ? Downloading the sources for something is no bigger than downloading a precompiled package, anyway.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Part of the gentoo experience is waiting for compile's, up to 48 hours for a complete system( ... like what ubuntu is after it is intalled..).My personal preference is Gentoo, its a great learning experience installing it.

If your looking for a quick install with allot of the learning aspect thrown in..... check out ArchLinux. You still do most things manually (alsa,x11,Desktop Enviorment......etc), but you are installing binaries ... which are super fast(always have the option of compiling though).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast