Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: The future of Gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: The future of Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    That's the only thing I can think of, but then at the same time why hasn't Microsoft sued wine for implementing Windows APIs?
    Because they aren't really implementing the WinAPI, they're reverse engineering it and making a similar one that tries to mimic it without ever using more than the details Microsoft makes available and their own debuggers.

There aren't patent problems because you can't patent the concept of that API or it's functions (ie. You can't patent a button because it's not specific enough, and if they patented the way it worked then they could program it a different way).
    And there aren't copyright problems because they don't use any of Microsoft's code (and if you've worked with MS's code you probably wouldn't even be allow submit any code to WINE).

But back on topic, I'm not going to install Mono or Moonlight on my computer, and since Mono seems to be working it's way into a good few core GNOME apps, that means I won't install GNOME, that's one of my reasons for using KDE (The others being that I prefer QT and it seems better for developers). If there was an option to not support OOXML in KOffice then I'd not use OOXML, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see about that.
    Last edited by happysmileman; December 2nd, 2007 at 09:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: The future of Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by happysmileman View Post
    Because they aren't really implementing the WinAPI, they're reverse engineering it and making a similar one that tries to mimic it without ever using more than the details Microsoft makes available and their own debuggers.

There aren't patent problems because you can't patent the concept of that API or it's functions (ie. You can't patent a button because it's not specific enough, and if they patented the way it worked then they could program it a different way).
    And there aren't copyright problems because they don't use any of Microsoft's code (and if you've worked with MS's code you probably wouldn't even be allow submit any code to WINE).
    But they are violating Microsoft license, it clearly stated that you aren't allowed to make them reverse engineering, but what I personally believed is that wine developers are making reverse engineering to applications that doesn't state this, and, in that way getting a compatible WinAPI API.
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718