Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    I'm saying hi, I'm British and I hope to come back at some point in the future (maybe in a few years) I'm currently in boston/usa running the MA LoCo group. Programmer from Widnes, Cheshire and used to work in London for a bit.

Any British LoCo culture you guys can advise me on and I'll make sure it spreads here
    Hi there!

Hop on over into #ubuntu-uk on IRC if you like. There's usually someone about to remind you of the green, green grass of home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi all,

Josh/jerichokb/etc, currently reading English Lit at uni in London (except I'm home in east anglia at the moment). Been using ubuntu since I got distracted from revision in march, and have only kept xp on my laptop for a few games. On the mailing list (iPod management was me...), sometimes on IRC, here as well.
    Hwæt, iċ swefna cyst secgan wylle,
    hwæt mē ġemǣtte tō midre nihte
    syðþan reordberend reste wunedon.

Beans

Well those who were at LUGRadio Live know me - Pete, the one with no hair and the dodgy line in t-shirts Also on the irc channel as 'milesteg' and online most evenings. I work as a civil servant looking after the Digital Challenge Competition for the Department for Communities and Local Government. Just wish there was more linux in my life in the work environment - Windows XP and Novell Groupwise *ugh* As opposed to Gnome and Compiz-fusion on my 22" ws Asus monitor at home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello... I'm British, I work as a Trainee Web Designer / Developer / User Support / Techy-grunt, in an Ubuntu/Linux/Web shop. We run an SME's computer system, as well as design/developing/hosting plone based websites... (SME is running LTSP on Dapper. Currently working on moving them to Feisty.)

In my spare time, and when I can drag myself away from all the other things I do (Run a Play-By-Web StarTrek RPG, help beta-test Simm Management System, read books, keep a blog up-to-date, 360 gaming, etc)

I help try to find/make content for http://linux.co.uk (Not easy. Any tips/helpers?), as well as doing a little bit of bug triage in launchpad when I get round to it. (I think someone needs to go through the "confirmed but not status'ed" bugs a bit more... although the new statuses have confused me a bit, haven't done much since they came in. I'll re-read the wiki sometime...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi 26 year old male here.
    Been using Ubuntu for a about a month now, planning on using it as a base for my music sever in my house in the UK.
    Currently have 2 computers, one using Fiesty fawn and one with Gibbon T4

AMD 3600+ 3 gig memory and loads of IDE drives. (waiting for me to put a 4200x2 chip in)

Compaq Presario with Pentum 4 3ghz chip 1gig ram (Running XP Media center and Ubuntu Gibbon T4)

The Compaq is my day to day comp I use here in France mostly for surfing the net and Music playing. I would bin XP totally but at the mo need it for Torrents - nothing comes close to Utorrent and because I really no idea how to use the command line yet...

Beans

I am a ex-pat Scot, living on the edge of Brum (Tamworth). Been using linux / unix (Solaris) since about 1990, I support Solaris servers and systems that run embedded linux.

Started with Suse, got feed up with it about version 9, moved to Redhat fedora for awhile, got feed up with it when my employer gave me a new laptop last year and installed Ubuntu.

Now use Ubuntu when ever possible. My wife is feed up with all the computers at home, server runs Fedora core 5, but will be changed to Ubuntu soon, kids desktop and another laptop dual boot XP and Ubuntu.

Only one I cannot get using linux is my wife, unfortunately proprietary accountancy software is a pain to get working on linux.

Gordon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat-55 View Post
    I would bin XP totally but at the mo need it for Torrents - nothing comes close to Utorrent and because I really no idea how to use the command line yet...
    Hey there, you can actually get uTorrent working under Ubuntu using Wine.

There's a tutorial here

Also, ktorrent is pretty good and native to Ubuntu (well Kubuntu really but you know what I mean..)

Beans

Greetings!

I'm retired and am 76 years old. So, as I didn't touch a computer (first one was an Atari 520) until after I had retired, I'm a permanent "semi-advanced newbie".

Was a sound engineer working in television.

Am a Wulfrunian by birth (and proud of it!), living now in mid Cheshire.

Cheers.

Keith

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Thumbs up Re: Introduce yourself

Hi, I'm Adam and I'm an Ubuntuholic. I'm based in East Sussex, near Hastings, or in Canterbury depending whether I'm at uni. I've been using Ubuntu since Breezy, but I've been inactive in the community recently due to other commitments. I expect I'll get more involved again now that I'm about to start back at Uni. I'm quite often on IRC if you need to get in touch.

Beans

I'm Daniel, I've always liked technology and ubuntu / debian have proved to be great. Still involved in computer support and some repairs.
    I'm also a
    NVQ 3 MOTOR TECHNICIAN
    2381 AND 2391 QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN
    which I now do as there are more cups of tea and less mess.

Lastly I'm expecting a baby with my girlfriend sometime end of November,we haven't found out if a boy or girl.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast