Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Looking for groups and or users in north AL

they just don't meet that often

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You can always check the map and see who is in your area, post a note here of a get together, jump into the IRC channel on the Freenode network (#ubuntu-us-al) or use the Ubuntu-AL mailing list.

I am kicking around a Central Alabama (Tuscaloosa/Northport area) meeting around in my head. But I have to get through baseball season with my son first.

Michael
    Michael Ramm, GSEC
    The 1-Man IT Department | Ubuntu User #16666 | Linux User #451972
    AlabamaTeam LoCo: Forums | Wiki | Blog

Beans

I'm kinda late to the thread but... I live in Montgomery and I'm the only person I know that doesn't use Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This is my initial jump into the LINUX decision. I use OSX. My mother was having serious problems with her XP. Read the data on UBUNTU and chose to let her have it. As someone stated earlier, having Ubuntu installed in her HP has made her month. Now, she is enjoying a faster, more efficient and easier OS to relearn. Now, if I can only remember how to put a Java .bin where it belongs. LOL It's been quite a few years since I ran with code. Yes, it would be nice to meet up with others around Birmingham and beyond to learn more about it.

Dave / Springville AL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i am from Huntsville Alabama

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cpatrick08 View Post
    i am from Huntsville Alabama
    Well cpatrick08 I'm in Harvest, Al so we are close.
    I have A Momentary Lapse of Reason | Learning to Fly <and looking for> Signs of Life <after> The Dogs of War <have had> One Slip, On the Turnning Away <but> Yet Another Movie <and> A New Machine <with> Terminal Frost <and> Sorrow. Linux Wallpapers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I live in New Market and work in Huntsville. I've been considering starting up a new Linux Users Group since it seems LUNA is all but gone. The proposed meetup location would be where I work (Traveller) off of Leeman Ferry. Unfortunately, there isn't a huge amount of space. So, if there were more than, say, 30 folks, we'd have to find a larger meetup location.

I believe HMUG (Huntsville Mac Users Group) currently meets once a month Saturday mornings at the Huntsville Public Library. That might be a possibility as long as our date doesn't conflict with theirs, obviously.

I spoke with my colleague here at Traveller and he said we could host the Linux users group server at this facility. The upside to this is the massive natural gas generator. During the last huge tornado storm where everyone was without power, Traveller stayed up.

They also have the rack space, network/power redundancy with plenty of bandwidth. I don't believe the cost would be much, if any, but I'll have to discuss this further with the boss man to see how feasible this would be.

If anyone has any suggestions on how best to market this to get more people involved, please let me know. And if that entails discussion on a different forum or an in-person meetup, that's fine too. I'd really like to get the ball rolling on this.

So, for those interested, let's start off with a few points of discussion if you please:

* Best meetup time & frequency. Ex. Bi-weekly Saturdays @ 2pm
    * Meeting Format. Ex. 1st 10 minutes mingle; next 15 minutes discuss Linux & Open Source news from anyone in attendance; next 30 minutes, discuss a HOWTO relevant to anything Unix/Linux. Ex. yum/dpkg/apt-get examples; etc etc.

Then, if this thing takes off, we can meet about what domain name to purchase and other stuff.

So, what say you?

Regards,
    loadedmind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

So, what say you?
    Excellent.

I look forward to following your lead.

(don't really have the time to commit to an organizational role)

One thing to consider, LUNA was more directed at the professional and server crowd, and was somewhat off-putting for some of us more home-user types. Being able to satisfy both would be ideal, but not necessarily easy.
    "I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”--Oscar Wilde

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ok, anyone else? Or would this be better served by mirroring this post in another forum such as linuxquestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If anyone has any suggestions on how best to market this to get more people involved, please let me know. And if that entails discussion on a different forum or an in-person meetup, that's fine too. I'd really like to get the ball rolling on this.
    Sounds good. I think it would take a little time for the word to get around, but once it got started it would grow.
    I have A Momentary Lapse of Reason | Learning to Fly <and looking for> Signs of Life <after> The Dogs of War <have had> One Slip, On the Turnning Away <but> Yet Another Movie <and> A New Machine <with> Terminal Frost <and> Sorrow. Linux Wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast